Sun joins forces with Microsoft

scoopy

Sun, Microsoft Settle; Take Aim at Linux

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Sun Microsystems Inc. (Nasdaq:SUNW - news) and Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) on Friday settled their bitter antitrust battles, uniting the two rivals to take on the increasingly popular Linux (news - web sites) operating system.

What's this mean for Star Office or Open Office, and what about JAVA ?

(PS: this story is dated April 02)

Something tells me that story is incorrect. Sun is a Linux supporter- Java Desktop Environment? Project Looking Glass? That story didn't get it's facts right. MS and Sun -did- settle, but they certainly aren't becoming partners in crime.

It is true, I watched and interview with Steve Ballmer (monkey dance boy) and the CEO of Sun, Steve Cavuto, I think, last night on MSNBC. Sun intends on pursuing thier "Java Desktop" and "Project Looking Glass". We"ll just have to wait and see what happens with this.

• 2 months later...

You know ever since longbone was anounced as going to have a 3d desktop I was a little suspect of M$ pulling it off on time. maybe thats part of why it was put off so long.

Then Sun anounced Progect Looking Glass and amasingly M$ soon came to an agreement with them and anounced they would be working together. HMMMMM??

I'm just glad Sun has decided to keep Looking Glass an an opensource or at least publicly available.

But I bet its final implimentation will not be out untill longbone is ready. That way linux doesn't get another legup on M$ and makes theirs look stupid and old.

Take it as just one more reason to stay with linux. M$ as normal can't compete on the level and needs to make "deals" in order to even keep looking good.

All M$ needs is one good security hole in Longbone and corporations will run away instead of walking like they are. This really is the last chance they have of staying on top and if the eye candy isn't any better than what they have now one will notice the "new" os longhorn.

Linux is ahead of the curve and I hope everyone keeps working to keep it that way.

Then Sun anounced Progect Looking Glass and amasingly M$ soon came to an agreement with them and anounced they would be working together. HMMMMM??

Did ya check the date on the article? :P it's over 2 years old, long before project looking glass became well-known. Sun and MS are no longer working together, Sun is looking at the GPL for many of it's products (Including Java and Solaris).

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...AgreementPR.asp

http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2004...20040402.3.html

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/d...icleId=22102766

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1617822,00.asp

Sun is now supporting M$java and visa-versa. Every company was looking to make a 3d desktop and guess who got it working before anyone? At least the programer got what he wanted and convinced Sun to open source LookingGlass to linux. The guy made it in his spare time!!! Dang!

Since its writen in SunJava I bet M$ will be using it for longhorn. The open source comunity will save them millions in development. But at least we'll have it first.

I'm not worried. if Looking Glass is GPL MS can't make use of it unless they open up any changes they make to it. This is not something they are likely to do.

Sun is, and always has been, a fierce competitor. They only really look out for themselves.

Sun likes Linux on Desktop (fighting MS domination)

but hates Linux on Server (losing its server business to it)

The strongest developer assest Sun has, Java, was facing domination from .NET.

Therefore, you will see many inconsistent claim and policy Sun has regarding both sides of the software world.