Need help with various software problems

fangbite

:help:

I'm a cronic windows user trying desperatly to learn linux (so i can leave windows once and for all) but i'm having difficulty with several programs.

1)With my dvds, everytime it runs fine with the fbi warning but after that it says "cannot read dvd".

2)When i got to a place like sourceforge.net to download some linux software, i get confused at all the various downloads available. I'm using Mandrake 10 and just want the download to use the program nothing more, what file format am i looking for?

3)i tried upgrading openoffice by opening the file and starting the setup program, but openoffice does not recognize another version exists (i know there is because i used openoffice via the menu)

any help will be most appreciated so i can finally kiss windows goodbye.

ok first thing you need to do is to setup a urpmi repository:

urpmi.org/easyurpmi and follow the commands to get a main a contrib an updates and plf repository of softwares.

1)to be able to read dvd's you need 2 library libdvddecss i think it spell like this) and libdvdread. to have that use Mandrake control center (in menu Configure your computer) go to software management and seaarch libdvd and isntall thoses ones.

2) a lot of projects that are on sourceforge are on the urpmi repository just search again in the software management peice the name of the software. if it's not there download the software from sourceforge the tar.gz and try to compiled it ** always having trouble with this part ** once you have extracted teh tar.gz (right click action->ectract here) in kde then go to the new folder hit ctrl-T to open a terminal and type ./configure

make

su

***it ill ask for your password**

make install

ant youll be able to start the program in with alt-f2 and type the name of the software.

3. open office is usually up to date in the repository.

hopes this helps

the easiest format would be an RPM as that's what mandrake uses.

however, if there are no rpm files, just tar.gz or tar.bz2 you can download them, extract them, and go the route !nkubus described-however, this usually puts you in dependency hell. so i would make sure to check the mandrake repo's for the program prior to trying this.