Installing RPM's and TAR's the GUI way

lawsonrc

There have been several articles published online how Linux (in general) and MandrakeLinux are desktop-ready for Windows/Mac converts who have not tried them because when they hear about command line use, they are intimidated and back off.

At the Houston Linux Users Group, I am presently teaching a Linux 101 class once a month to people who are interested in learning about Linux and ready to "move over", but have no command line experience, and may not quite be ready for them.

Here is a Tip on how to install RPMs and TARs the "GUI" way in Mandrake:

(I recommend to my students to create a directory in Home called Downloads for the RPMS and TARS they download from the internet)

For an RPM:

In your home directory, open the Downloads directory where you downloaded the RPM from the internet. Right click on it and click on "Software Installer". The RPM then will install.

For a TAR:

Right click on the Tar, then go to Actions >Extract Here... After you click on Extract Here... a new directory will appear with the name of the TAR.

(Then of course we explore the new directory and I clarify all that is there.)

I hope this will help many newbies to our mandrakeusers.org forum, who are at this level.

Richard L. :thumbs:

Hi Alex,

I appreciate your reply and addressing Gnome. I already knew that for Gnome and forgot to put it in for this message. I have tried in the past to double on an RPM to install it in KDE, but it didn't work for me at the time (maybe it was just a quirk the one time I tried it--not sure).

Alex, if you come across any other GUI ideas, please let me know.

You can PM me, or add them here to this thread.

Richard L.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the kudos -- it's nice to be appreciated! :D

I used to use KDE when I first got into Mandrake, and I found that you could install RPMs just by double clicking them, but I think I had trouble with dependencies and so on. I later changed to Gnome (nothing to do with RPM trouble, I was just curious ^_^ ) and found the solution above. It could just be my setup, but it seems to be a lot smoother than KDE used to be.

Then again, my memory's not too flash, so it could just be a case of me 'loving the one I'm with'.

I'll try to think of some other useful GUI tips and PM them to ya!

Cheers,

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

This is EXACTLY what kind of info I need!!!!!! Really great! I'm currently moving over to Linux (Mandrake 9.2) And it took me 15 Hours just to get the generic drivers up running (I have Nvidia chripset and Ati 9600 pro card = Trouble)

And that's where it stops for me. And thats why I would like to give credit to lawsonrc for contributing this info. For me thats the problem with linux, all my friends are win users and can not help me. So it took me like an hour to install a program (but I'm getting there)

But if I'v read this infor before it would be verry useful (And pretty obvius :D )

So now I'm currently searching for info about how to install tar.gz files (managed to install 1 package with 98% luck) Anyone have som good sites with tutorials (pref. with pics) and som really really basics!! Me = TOTAL noob

• 2 weeks later...

Richard, here is a Tip on how to install fonts the "GUI" way in Mandrake.

Usually I would goto the font installer in mandrake 10.0, but for just 1 at a time oh... like 2 or 3 times a week, or month, this way is much quicker.

It just blows the command line right out of your mind. :lol:

However just because this is so easy is no excuse for not learning the command line in due time after they get tired of all that point and click action. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, i love mandrake, i am a long time windows user and MAJOR XP user, and Mandrake 10 i have found is very easy to use, i love the software manager, makes everything easy to update and install, and remove things. Mandrake 10 is very user friendly java script:emoticon(':D')