How much I can squeeze

lefthook

With the GUI (Kde or Gnome or anything else) I don't think you can make it on a 75M HD. However you could remotly control the box with Webmin. This utility have a lot of features to set Apache and others so that may be a solution.

MottS

I suggest you look into the "links" section. I added the LWN Linux Distributions directory, just for you :-) In this list, you might find the distribution that will fullfill your needs. Keep us informed ;-)

Yves.

I'm not sure if you can fit it on a drive that small - Mandrake (like most of the major distros) installs a lot of extra stuff even if you specify just a few specific packages. I installed Mandrake 8.2 on a 4gb drive and only used 1.5gb, though that included more than you're wanting to install and I wasn't too selective. Also remember that if the server will provide hosting for more than just you on your local network that memory (swap) will be an issue. If you try it, post back here and let us know - I'd be interested in your results.

You also might want to look at Gentoo Linux. It's a distro that is designed for you to build from the ground up and only install exactly what you need. Not for the newbie, but they have a great installation walk-through.

Good luck! :D

:x  I SAID NO GRAPHICS NO X ! Mandrake installation with PHP + APACHE & DNS server.  Why to use X On a server? So perhaps I'm today gonna try to fit LM 8.1 with NO X & see if it fits on a 75MB Hard disk.? Or does it? (128MB memory, 750 Duron)  :?:

Good for you. I was simply stating that there WAS a distro that had X and it would obviously fit on a 75MB hard drive. No need to get all furious about it.

Now, as others have suggested, go look for ZipSlack. Trim it down. Or just get LFS. Or if you have a CD drive, you can use a distro that uses that. You could just use LOAF, and then try installing it to a HD, and then add in the stuff you want.

Or do a truly minimal install of Mandrake 9.0. It *might* be 75MB. I don't know for sure.