compression options for mencoder

scoopy

First let me share. I finally was able to do something in Linux that I could not do in Windows. I converted a 1.2 gig mpeg to DivX without crashing. Yeah!

Now here's my question. Using mencoder - I ended up with a 800 meg file after using the lavc codec (mpeg4) at 800 k/s default setting and cutting the sound down to 64 kb with mp3lame codec. This is still a bit too large for a 700 MB CD.

Are there any options I could add to compress a bit more, without sacraficing picture quality? I've searched and searched and taxed my brain noodles to its limit getting this far in figuring all those dependencies and command line syntax stuff that go with getting mplayer and mencoder up and running.

Thanks,

OK, I rested a bit and things are becoming clearer. I figured out the 3-pass encoding, which seems to produce decent picture quality and gives be a bitrate to encode at to fit on either a 650, 700, or 800 meg CD. It also seems that I didn't need as high a bitrate as I first thought being the source was probally encoded under a 800 bitrate to begin with.

Here's the commands I am trying out at the moment.

mencoder movie.mpg -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr=96:ratio=80

mencoder movie.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:vhq:vbitrate=766 -oac copy -o movie.avi

mencoder movie.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=:vhq:vbitrate=766 -oac copy -o movie.avi

Any other suggestions still would be appreciated. Meanwhile I gotta try squeezing 800 megs on my 700 meg CD sometime soon. (CD-XA, mode2?)