kernel -2.6.3.7mkd-1-1mdk

william

Sorry people, I know there are lots of threads here on this topic, but counting on your usual help, please put here your inputs. At this moment the download reached 25% and I hople to get some help before it's finished.

my current kernel version, using MKD 10 cooker.(strange, wouldn't it supposed to be 2.6.3?)

[william@poseidon william]$ uname -r
2.6.2-3mdk

my etc/src:

[root@poseidon src]# ls
RPM/  linux@  linux-2.6.2-3mdk/

I'm following this instruction from Mandrake Secure site:

"x86 Kernel Updates:
Open a terminal as root and update your urpmi sources:
  # urpmi.update -a 
Read the advisory so you know what kernel version to install; for instance if the filename is kernel-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm you will want to execute:
  # urpmi kernel-2.4.19.24mdk
This will install the new kernel alongside any old kernels that are currently on your system. Next, edit the /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.list file (depending upon your bootloader). Ensure that you will be able to boot your old kernel by making sure a stanza exists for it specifically. If this is your first kernel update on the system, you likely will have two stanzas that point to symlinks; the kernel installer always updates these to point to the latest vmlinuz and initrd.img files. Usually a copy and paste of the new kernel stanza and modifying the kernel number is all you will need. For instance, if the new kernel is 2.4.19-24mdk and the release kernel is 2.4.19-16mdk, copy the -24mdk stanza and replace -24mdk with -16mdk.

Is there anything else that I should be aware, what they mean by:

Usually a copy and paste of the new kernel stanza and modifying the kernel number is all you will need. For instance, if the new kernel is 2.4.19-24mdk and the release kernel is 2.4.19-16mdk, copy the -24mdk stanza and replace -24mdk with -16mdk

Thanks.

Edited by william

The new kernel is already installed, I followed the Black Magicof updating kernels and have it i my lilo. Actually, that trick of copying and paste the new lilo.conf and edit those 3 lines in order to preserve the old kernel in case of any problem worked, but I think it was not necessary to copy and paste, just edit the entries of your old kernel (that was modified after new kernel installation). Now I will have to re-edit my lilo.conf cause I have more than 5 option there in lilo screen to boot the system.

At this moment I'm downloading the new kernel source, so that I will be able to install nvidia driver.

bvc, wasn't MDK 10 supposed to come with kernel 2.6.3?

If everything here works properly,I feel like deleting the old kernel, how to do that?

rpm -e?

mcc?

what's the best way?

ML-10-CE

[root@localhost root]# rpm -qa | grep kernel

kernel-2.6.3.7mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk

kernel-2.6.3.4mdk-1-1mdk

[root@localhost root]#

rpm -e

urpme

rpmdrake -

they'll all do it. Then just check that no folders/images were left behind.