trouble installing nvidia and kernel sources

!nkubus

yeah same here, but it wont load my nvidia even i i restart X, because my kernel has changed, i a dont have any sources for the kernel

so i cannot install my nvidia.

anyone had this trouble ??

MOD NOTE: this was moved from this thread since the problem was unrelated. - scoopy

Edited by scoopy

yeah same here, but it wont load my nvidia even i i restart X, because my kernel has changed, i a dont have any sources for the kernel

so i cannot install my nvidia.

anyone had this trouble ??

Your kernel sources version must match your installed or running kernel if you want to get nvidia to work. You say you can't get the source? what kernel version is installed? I believe the latest kernel source on cooker is 2.6.3.-7

Should be no need to be compiling a kernel. Why not post the results of the following two commands, and we can see where we are currently?

$ rpm -qa | grep kernel

(above will tell us what you have installed... kernel wise)

$ uname kernel -r

(this one tells us which kernel you have running)

I wanted to post a note here in case anyone else experiences this. The updates include the new sources when the new kernel is available, but they do not include the new kernel. So if you install everything before you realize it, you also need to manually download the matching kernel and install it before you reboot. That is how this problem occurs. Rule of thumb, when looking over the list of updates, do the kernel stuff seperately.