Take a look at Mono and C# at Novell's Brainshare

zero0w

Yesterday, I have watched the Real video feed of Miguel de Icaza's MonoDevelop presentation at Novell's Brainshare event on Mar 26:

http://primates.ximian.com/~miguel/activity-log.php

http://www.novell.com/brainshare/keynotes2004.html

(Check out Mar 26, Friday video, for that Mono presentation)

I hate to say it, but what .NET and C# will be able to provide, at least on the desktop, is very, very impressive. The presentation showed how Miguel embedded Gecko (the mozilla browser engine) in a simple GUI app in Mono under Linux, for just a few edit plus drag and drop from the MonoDevelop GUI Designer. And the Mono binary is instantly usable on Windows platform (that is, the seemless switch of widget from GTK# to Win32 GUI).

I think Miguel's presentation starts somewhere around 01:00:00-01:15:00, worthy check it out.

I watched the first 40 minutes of that Brainshare keynote... man they are really going for it! At least that's my impression. If they get it right this could be like a truck driving through a brick wall for some of their competitors. And it seems they are getting it right.

The show was impressive. Question for you guys here: who works/has worked with Novell or their products? What's your experience with them? Any good ones, bad ones? Of course Novell can say what they like, but I'd be more interested in hearing from their current or previous customers.

• 4 months later...