Where can i get WIneX?

psycho-killer

For the very first time of my life I felt bad for all these years of warezing, and I have been doing it a LOT.

It is not often I really have liked the stuff I have downloaded, and I don't think I would have bought moste of that software anyway, so they haven't really lost that much on me.;|

Another aspect is:does it really make any difference? I remember bying a CD i had in mp3 once. Afterwords I have wondered if it really made any difference. The music industry have, in a kind of way, been through quite ruff times lately(First with napster. later with kazaa and stuff). Still moste of the music companies have been doing great. And how many $ of that 15$ CD do you think went to the band? 1 or 2 maybe? Iron maiden(witch were the band I bought the cd of) have enough anyway. I need those cash more than them.

Even thoug I probebly have I higher life standard than an avrage Philippinese person, I do not earn more pocketmoney every week than what you earn in 1 day ramfree17. For me going to my parents asking for money to sofware would be like entering hell. And as moste software here in Norway costs min 50$(the ms office costs 600$) I would probebly have used around at least 2000$ on software each year. To me it is impossible to get a job. Not only are the employers more interested in grownups. As a hard working student I don't have time for working exept school.

I think may people, espesially kids and youngsters have the same problems as me. Software is simply to expensive for us.

And for you ramfree: It is not that I don't think you deserve any better, but as the realistic person I am I don't think that the entre population of the world can live with a western lifestandard. When the day where the differenses is going to be "straightened out" between people in USA, Europe and Africa Asia ++ I will fight for keeping the qualeties I am living under today.

From

Andreas

[ironic]

a Fat, posh and welthy young norwegian.

[/ironic]

Are wee a bit to oftopic now?

This is all a little offtopic, but I must make an important point...

What you are saying about the music industry is completely wrong! I work in the industry and have had two of my friends retrenched from major labels. Why? Because of piracy, every office of EMI in the world has had to lay people off.

So why don't you tell my friend Stefan, who now has no job, that piracy makes no difference.

Or my friend Cerys who has had to move to a smaller office in a worse part of town and almost lost her job because Sony Music are down-sizing.

Or my friend Oliver who's band can't get signed because the labels all say, 'We love your music, but, because of piracy, we are forced to deal exclusively with established artists until we find a solution to this problem.'

The list goes on... and the same is true for software developers. It already has made a difference. A BIG difference.

I think you fail to distinguish between the music industry (or the economy) and the big record labels. Filesharing might not be good for the big record compenies but it's not bad for the music industry (consisting of artists, publishers, songwriters etc etc) or the economy (PC builders, CD- burner makers, software publishers etc etc).

Yes, jobs are lost but other jobs are created elsewehere in the economy. If home weavers in the 18th century had succeeded in stopping industrial produced cloth we would be a lot poorer today.

I'm sorry your friends lost their jobs but I think you fail to appreciate the new jobs created elsewhere. People who got a new job because of filesharing (think of all the new workers for the new broadband ISPs that exist because there is such a demand for filesharing) have friends too. I'm sure they are glad that there friends have found a new job.

*sigh*

The point is not whether that money is going to the right people, artist, whoever, the point is quite simply, the information/music/whatever is not in the public domain and you either have to pay for it or not use it. If you don't, and you still use it, you're breaking the law. That's how simple it all is. If you agree to any sort of license agreement, than you break the law if you do not adhere to it.

If I steel quentin tarrantinos wallet, no judge is going to accept my answer of "I need the money more than he does".

If you need it, buy it. If you can't afford it, either find a legally free alternative, or do without it.

And on to South Africa:

In essence, one dollar does not equate to the exchange rate. If you buy anything online from *within* SA using a credit card, then you're paying "item value" * exchange rate * percentage bank charge for offshore purchases. Then you still pay TAX, which you should be able to claim back, but SARS (SA Revenue Services (the SA equivilent of the US's IRS)) hardly ever hono(u)rs these small amounts.

US$5, incidently, is half the average daily wage in South Africa (after Tax and UIF for more than 60% of South Africans - source Stats SA). That drops to under 4 dollars for the average African. US$5 buys an average of 10 loaves of bread in SA, which, incidently, is sourced as one of the most nutritious in the world. To boot, a gallon of water costs under 5 US cents, a litre of petrol (gas) around US$0.67, and a litre of milk US$0.52. So, for US$5 I can: travel to work, drink coffee, buy a sandwich for lunch, drink a litre of milk and still have change for a lottery ticket on wednesday. One full day's general expense for more than 60% of South African's does not total US$5.

So, please, do not assume that someone living in South Africa can simply afford to fork out US$5 every time.

Oh Yeah, last point, I think as far as *giving back to the community*, African's have proven to care about the community a lot more than your average capitalist western corporation

I'm all for paying for software. Sheez i've been with windows all my life. But what gets to me are these "club membership" things with mandrake and winex. I want to buy a piece of software, get a nice cd and not have to worry about paying yearly for something i may forget about. I know some have told me to just sign up for the minumum amount of time, but the problem is after that, i get no updates of any kind, no bug fixes etc. What I want to see is the pay 60 bucks for Mandrake 10 student edition, 100 business, 200 egads what do u need 8 cds for anyway version. I don't want to be paying 30-60 bucks a year (although it may be cheaper that way depending on the rate of number increase.) With winex I want to purchase winex for 30 bucks lets say and then get unlimited patches to upgrade it. Its what comercial games do. Yes, if they come out with something totally new like maybe WinexII which gives new features yadda yadda then i'll buy that too if I decide i need it. But i'm not going for the pay per time period crap I see more and more with linux. Paying isn't my problem. Thats what my job is for.

I dont see your problem, I guess. Just look at it this way its $15 (minimum) and with that you get winex and three months of FREE upgrades. After that its $15 and three months of upgrades, unless you keep your subscription, then maybe only $5 for one month. Whats the big deal?? If you buy say office or medal of honor or whatever, you get that, maybe/probally a patch to fix it/ upgrade it and nothing else. With winex, you may get a new version before the three months are up. I really don't think its a bad deal, just pony up $15 and forget it. Six months from now, you can opt to do the samething or you may say, this works fine and I don't need to upgrade. so it only cost $15 bucks, How much do you think Microsoft would charge for something like this? And how long would you be able to upgrade/update it for free ( well included in the price) ?

:wall: sorry no caffine yet today :wall: I didn't mean to ramble on and on and on....

To get WineX (legally - which is the only way we allow on these forums) you must subscribe or use CVS (which is not the full version). That's how it is, and this forum is not the place to debate whether or not this is "a good business model" - or whether or not you like it. Nor is it the place to discuss monatary differences between countries, the music industry, or any of the other side tracks which have occured here.

Please stick to the topic or I will be forced to lock this thread.