Where can i get WIneX?

psycho-killer

When you say SA - do you mean South Africa? Because that's where I'm from and I find the $5 subscription (about 33 rand) more then reasonable.

You can build it free from cvs and it is very easy, if you search on this board or on google you will find out how CVS works...

I could expose you to the anti-WineX argument, but whatever - if you want to use it go ahead - I use it to play Warcraft 3... that's all.

You guys shpould take note that those "legal" rpms and CVS versions are NOT the same as the version you get by subscribing to either WineX or the club and do NOT work as well.

The "commercial" versions of Winex include some commercial dll's that can't be distributed for free. These dll's make a BIG difference in some games.

Good point.

I'm personally tired of freeloaders, and that goes for people who seriously use Linux but give nothing back. For god's sake, $5 is a happy meal! If you really can't afford it then I understand, but I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't.

I live in Africa and I can afford to buy Gentoo discs, subscribe to Transgaming and make donations to Mozilla. Lets hear some excuses?

Edited by SoulSe

I live in Africa and I can afford to buy Gentoo discs, subscribe to Transgaming and make donations to Mozilla. Lets hear some excuses?

i agree with you both but just to rock the boat...

- $5 is more than what i would spend for my lunch money for the whole week. 7 days to be exact if i dont go to work on weekends.

- $5 is also roughly the amount that i can spend for transportation to and from the office.

- $5 is almost the same amount that i get paid for a day. i recently got a raise so i earn a little bit more than that now. just a little bit.

i didnt post those figures to get some sympathy. i posted them because that is my reality. my salary is not that low because i even managed to get a long-term loan for a small house for me and my wife. its just that we have to really plan wisely on what we spend money on or else we might find ourselves hungry while sleeping on the pavement.

oh, before i forget. i dont use winex either because i dont have time for games anymore. i once used wine but i dont have a need for it either so i dont bother keeping up with it anymore. :)

ciao!

i agree with you both but just to rock the boat...

- $5 is more than what i would spend for my lunch money for the whole week. 7 days to be exact if i dont go to work on weekends.

- $5 is also roughly the amount that i can spend for transportation to and from the office.

- $5 is almost the same amount that i get paid for a day. i recently got a raise so i earn a little bit more than that now. just a little bit.

i didnt post those figures to get some sympathy. i posted them because that is my reality. my salary is not that low because i even managed to get a long-term loan for a small house for me and my wife. its just that we have to really plan wisely on what we spend money on or else we might find ourselves hungry while sleeping on the pavement.

oh, before i forget. i dont use winex either because i dont have time for games anymore. i once used wine but i dont have a need for it either so i dont bother keeping up with it anymore. :)

ciao!

Well, that is the beauty of open source. Like I said, if you really can't afford it then that is cool and there are otherways of giving back.

Look at your post-count, it tells me that you have helped loads of people on this forum and contributed to the community. That, in some people's books, is worth more than hard cash. :thumbs:

Look at your post-count, it tells me that you have helped loads of people on this forum and contributed to the community. That, in some people's books, is worth more than hard cash.  :thumbs:

thanks soulse. i am not arguing (in case somebody begins to think i am). i would love to spend something online but do not have the means.

and just to keep it between us, i spent most of that post count in offtopic. ssshhh... :devil::twisted:

ciao!

ummm, I bought a hat once.... :D

I must admit that I am pretty much a freeloader, but I have bought both mandrake 7.2 and redhat 7.1.(which I couldn't figure out and didn't try Linux again until mandy 9.1) My main problem is I can't seem to settle on a distro or release, which drives my wife nuts. But as you point out, its only $5 and if it works better that the cvs verison or the "free" rpm (which didn't work for me either), I think it's time to pony up. (for me at least).

I too agree that with as many post as ramfree has, that adds up for noobs (like me) who need help with just about everything. So I feel that this is just as good as spending money to support linux as you help those of us who would otherwise give up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For the very first time of my life I felt bad for all these years of warezing, and I have been doing it a LOT.

It is not often I really have liked the stuff I have downloaded, and I don't think I would have bought moste of that software anyway, so they haven't really lost that much on me.;|

Another aspect is:does it really make any difference? I remember bying a CD i had in mp3 once. Afterwords I have wondered if it really made any difference. The music industry have, in a kind of way, been through quite ruff times lately(First with napster. later with kazaa and stuff). Still moste of the music companies have been doing great. And how many $ of that 15$ CD do you think went to the band? 1 or 2 maybe? Iron maiden(witch were the band I bought the cd of) have enough anyway. I need those cash more than them.

Even thoug I probebly have I higher life standard than an avrage Philippinese person, I do not earn more pocketmoney every week than what you earn in 1 day ramfree17. For me going to my parents asking for money to sofware would be like entering hell. And as moste software here in Norway costs min 50$(the ms office costs 600$) I would probebly have used around at least 2000$ on software each year. To me it is impossible to get a job. Not only are the employers more interested in grownups. As a hard working student I don't have time for working exept school.

I think may people, espesially kids and youngsters have the same problems as me. Software is simply to expensive for us.

And for you ramfree: It is not that I don't think you deserve any better, but as the realistic person I am I don't think that the entre population of the world can live with a western lifestandard. When the day where the differenses is going to be "straightened out" between people in USA, Europe and Africa Asia ++ I will fight for keeping the qualeties I am living under today.

From

Andreas

[ironic]

a Fat, posh and welthy young norwegian.

[/ironic]

Are wee a bit to oftopic now?