Statically linking libPNG but not libSDL

I am writing an SDL game on my mdk 9.2 box for the Sharp Zaurus.

If I just use libSDL then I can open and load BMPs, but I want to use PNGs, so I am now additionally using libSDL_image. The trouble is with libSDL_image is it requires libjpeg, libpng and libz. The Sharp Zaurus comes with libjpeg by default, but not libpng or libz. libz though is available in a packaged format for the Zaurus and most people would have already installed it. libpng does not appear to be available and from the SDL games I have installed onto my Zaurus so far, I would say they are either statically linking libpng into their programs or not using libSDL_image.

So my question is, how do I selectively statically link against libpng, but not lib_SDL or libSDL_image?

I understand that if I use the '-static' linker command it statically links all the referenced libraries.

Hopefully there's someone here who knows the answer to this, and here are the files in my project and the libraries linked to:-

main.c

getfps.c

tetravex.c <-- TARGET

getfps.h

tetravex.h

-lSDL -lSDL_image

Basically I want libSDL_image to talk to a statically linked copy of libpng within my program and not the libpng.so library on the Zaurus (which is not there anyway).

Cheers.