USB 2.0

william

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aRTee, I've inserted that entry in fstab and at least now the system is no re-wrinting anything in fstab anymore.

That's my output with hdparm:

[root@poseidon william]# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   928 MB in  2.02 seconds = 459.48 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:    8 MB in  3.60 seconds =   2.22 MB/sec

Isn't that command wrong? The device is not sda anymore, isn't it?

The device is likely still also sda, and another thing: 2.22MB/s is faster than usb1.1, so usb2 is working. I don't know about the performance it should give, on external harddrives 10-20MB/s should be possible, but on zip drives and the like I have no idea...

At Iomega, we quote customers that the drive should be similar to 52x speeds realized by the fastest burners. 52x52x52x is what is even printed on the older boxes.

As a level-2 tech at Iomega, I can tell you that these speeds aren't often realized, but its definately quite fast.

/dev/sda4 is just a link to /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4. You can check it out in your /dev directory by right clicking on sda4 and tick "Properties" to see what I mean. "/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4" is how /dev/sda4 is designated in the devfs system IIRC and the "sda4" link is used to make it all more readable. You'll see lots of links like this throughout /dev. Your speed problems may just be a limitation of the device. Do you get faster transfers in windows?

52x would be around 7 or 8MB/s right?

So not as fast as a decent usb2 harddisk, but still quite a bit faster than 2.2MB/s...

Crosschecking with transfer rates in windows would be helpful here.

It may also be that the bottleneck is not the drive...