`Trusted Computing'

spinynorman

PCLinuxOnline mentioned this document produced by the Computer Laboratory at Cambridge University. It's a rather long explanation of what Trusted Computing means.

The Trusted Computing Group (TCG) is an alliance of Microsoft, Intel, IBM, HP and AMD which promotes a standard for a `more secure' PC. What caught my eye was this reference to IBM and HP...

IBM and HP have apparently started work on a TC-enhanced version of GNU/linux. This will involve tidying up the code and removing a number of features. To get an evaluation certificate acceptable to TCG, the sponsor will then have to submit the pruned code to an evaluation lab, together with a mass of documentation showing why various known attacks on the code don't work. (The evaluation is at level EAL3 - expensive enough to keep out the free software community, yet lax enough for most commercial software vendors to have a chance to get their lousy code through.) Although the modified program will be covered by the GPL, and the source code will be free to everyone, it will not work in the TC ecosystem unless you have a certificate for it that is specific to the Fritz chip on your own machine. That is what will cost you money (if not at first, then eventually).

Has anyone heard about this? :huh:

Trusted computing is a microsoft phrase that means "when only microsoft program will run on any chip, then computing will be trusted......and expensive." The shadow grows.

I think in this case, Trusted Computing just involves making sure that linux is compatible to whatever hardware that is TC compatible. Some censorship can be useful for "deep cover" works, such as making sure that the documents you produce in your linux box can only be read by people in your group, (in which not even root of an untrusted machine can read it).

However, I haven't heard anything new from IBM and HP regarding the continuation of the TC compatible linux. The GPL is too open for that, and if the code for TC is open for anyone to see, anyone, with a certain amount of effort and time, can crack it.

I think in this case, Trusted Computing just involves making sure that linux is compatible to whatever hardware that is TC compatible. Some censorship can be useful for "deep cover" works, such as making sure that the documents you produce in your linux box can only be read by people in your group, (in which not even root of an untrusted machine can read it).

However, I haven't heard anything new from IBM and HP regarding the continuation of the TC compatible linux. The GPL is too open for that, and if the code for TC is open for anyone to see, anyone, with a certain amount of effort and time, can crack it.

But isn't that really true for all code? Given time, nothing is a secret.

Nothing new, this link was posted in this board a while ago. But it's good that the maximum of people be aware of this. When I speak of that to people around me that interest them, they don't like it and a lot say that they are going to switch to Linux because of that.

It can be a good thing: If everybody is forced to pay for all the M$ stuff they have in there box, M$ is going to earn even more money but hopefully, its market share may decrease as more people is going to switch to Linux.

Also, I think that any serious company may understand that to lock this way a file in a proprietary format is going to be very dangerous.

If I understand well, imo it's a all or nothing business for M$: either they have enough control of the market now and then people is going to be completely locked with there product, either they are going to lose there total market control.

That's a race: will Linux be friendly enough and ready when Longhorn be out ? :juggle:

But what is worrying is that I'm sure M$, malicious as it is, is going to do it soft. They are not going to lock or erase any "untrusted" stuff in one day. It is going do be done in several years and one day, you wake up and realise you are completely locked.

Edited by roland

Nothing new, this link was posted in this board a while ago. But it's good that the maximum of people be aware of this. When I speak of that to people around me that interest them, they don't like it and a lot say that they are going to switch to Linux because of that. 

It can be a good thing: If everybody is forced to pay for all the M$ stuff they have in there box, M$ is going to earn even more money but hopefully, its market share may decrease as more people is going to switch to Linux.

Also, I think that any serious company may understand that to lock this way a file in a proprietary format is going to be very dangerous.

If I understand well, imo it's a all or nothing business for M$: either they have enough control of the market now and then people is going to be completely locked with there product, either they are going to lose there total market control.

That's a race: will Linux be friendly enough and ready when Longhorn be out ?  :juggle:

But what is worrying is that I'm sure M$, malicious as it is, is going to do it soft. They are not going to lock or erase any "untrusted" stuff in one day. It is going do be done in several years and one day, you wake up and realise you are completely locked.

Thats scary Roland.

Im so glad Im not using it any more but your right.

It is just that you wake up one morning and reach for the cigarette and suddenly realise your hooked!

Thats scary Roland. 

Im so glad Im not using it any more but your right. 

It is just that you wake up one morning and reach for the cigarette and suddenly realise your hooked!

You can already notice this when you download some video (don't remember all, or particular format, I think I had it with a WMV), then M$ tells you you cannot view it unless you get a key online to unlock it. They do not say it in the message box, but in fact this is DRM applied here.

I even think I read somewhere that by clicking 'ok', you agree to use it or to activate that feature in WMP (since it is disabled by default). But I'm not sure of that. They are also shopping for (future) digital content companies like Walt Disney (which already goes with the program), companies in Hollywood and no doubt some big record labels.

Anyway, it is way scary. What I find most scary is that we talk about it here OCASIONALLY. In the outside world, people don't realize and probably never heard of it. They're too ignorant of all these issues to understand and THATis what frustrates and scares me. Since what the majority wants, it gets. And if it doesn't complain, all the better for M$ and other lock-in guys. Walk into our little trap, you ignorant user sheeps... muhahaha (evil Gates' laugh).

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

Nothing new, this link was posted in this board a while ago. But it's good that the maximum of people be aware of this...

I didn't see it the first time round, Roland. My purpose in posting wasn't to focus on Microsoft, but to draw attention to the possibility of a few large Linux companies, like IBM & HP, adopting TC.

If the community doesn't want to go down this road, or can't afford TCG evaluation certificates, these few companies could act as gatekeepers for the community, adopting ideas for their own benefit and stifling innovation.

:end:

Well IBM used to stink.....

I'm not sure what I think of them anymore.

HP stink a lot! They are CRAP! everything about them is crap!

I don't understand why people get excited when the adop[t linux becuase they are a cancerous company that infect everything they touch.

Unless you live in Holland then every support call in Europe costs you an internaitonal call! Then you pay international call charges to be connected to someone who understands nothing about whatever hardware you are phoning about.

I once had a problem with a support tech for SCSI (scanners and devices) and had to explain the differences between termination and SCSI ID. While paying for the call! All this and the offical answer as to why my scanner didn't work.... becuase HP SCSI is different to other scsi?

truly, that was the answer.

They advertised that the scanner worked with the AHA 2940UW

I then called adaptec....(in Belgium but they provide a local ratenumber in the UK :D) and got a VERY COMPETENT technician ...

He told me to buy the adaptec UW->W converter and not use the HP one and if that didn't fix the problem then they would refund my money! :D

It worked immediately.... I spent more phoning HP than actually on the SCANNER int he first place!

Another example. HP builds a service interval into its printers.

Wuith the correct key combinations (available to HP engineeers) you decide WHEN you get called out next. Set number of copies and then when its done it it will refuse to work and say... call service engineer.

(Of course this is illegal in many countires...)

trusted and HP is an oxymoron.

trusted and MS the same....

IBM.... I dunno, can leapoards REALLY change their spots!

Microsoft says "Trusssssssssssssssst Ussssssssssssssssss!!!!" (hiss that).

The SSSSC, which was proposed by Senator Fritz Hollings was more than Fed mandated Palladium chips on mobos. It would have outlawed:

Linux (added by none other than Disney Corporation)

All current NON hardware DRM computers

ALL homebuilt computers, current AND future!!!!!!!

and a bunch of other stuff, all computer related.

I doubt any person will be able to buy a Palladium mobo. You will HAVE to buy from Dull, Mooway, ComPUKE, Hockey Puck, EEKmachines, other other MS Authorized Trussssted Computing OEM.

What's really holding up Longhorn, is getting the Divine Rights Management motherboards made. After all, the stupid things have to be completely re-engineered to include the Ultimate Competition Killer Chip aka PUKIUM!!!!!

Billy Boy is about to become the Absolute Ruler of the World (his fondest dream).

I am going to buy XP Pro and maybe 2K (for reserve) in the event that Microsoft issues the forced upgrade hidden update (a suddenly nonfinctioning XP) to hold your data hostage until you upgrade to Longhorn. :twisted: :deal:

I must make time to read it all, but I did like this -

"WE ARE MICROSOFT. LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER. WE WILL ADD YOUR TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE."

:D :D :D