Mandrake 10 Ce Troubles

!nkubus

1. all the icons (crystal svg) by defaults look fuzzy in konqueror and in the menu

2. when i plug my usb card reader my usb mouse is not working anymore.

3. the fonts are weird, they look antialiased and not at the same time. (even after installing windows fonts)

4.No flpphoto, or gtkam, or digikam by default, nothing happens when i plug my camera .

5.when the kicker is spawned into 2 xinerama screens it freeze and nothing can be clicked.

6. everytime i start k3b it crash.

am i the only one who have a troubles

:wall::furious3: with this release.

i have not delete my home on the clean install but i have deleted the .kde to be sure that it was not my old configs tht was causing some trouble.

am i the only one who beleve that this release is kind of crap , why everybody loves it and tell that it'S the best distro?

---------------------------------

my PC

amd athlon 2100+

512 kingston ddr ram 333mhz

Nvidia Geforce MX440 64 mb.

Nvidia Riva TNT2 16 mb

last Nvidia driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run)

Kernel 2.6

mandrake 10 CE

it's an rc geez :P

would you judge a car based on the production model?

Personally, I think it's crap as well, but it's expected. It's got a less than friendly/not ready for the desktop kernel, injected with the new magicdev that can't make sense of kernel/devfs/where is udev?/supermount/help I'm confused/soundwrapper----who am I?/oh, hotplug, was using xfree4.4b....oops....back to 4.3....yuk fonts...... :cheeky:

RC

NOT

FINAL (wich is now going to be called Official)

Hopefully, Final ooops, I mean Official will be great! :wall:

Edited by bvc

I agree with you both but my experience hasn't been as bad as both of yours. You've got to do the updates with this release to have a decent functioning system. It seems to me that this release was designed for one purpose - to discover and correct bugs before the final release. If your not doing the updates, you're pretty much screwed. I usually update every other day and there's usually in excess of 100MB each time. Kde is patched and has to be downloaded through the updates on a seemingly weekly basis; there's already an updated kernel; mozilla has been patched and updated three times since I installed; and the drakx tools have been repeatedly updated.

People have argued that mdk10-ce is just as finished as previous releases, but I don't buy that given the update history I've seen and the problems I've experienced. On the other hand, many have had no problems with this release at all. I think it's just a matter of hardware compatiblity and correcting bugs on a wider array of hardware through this testing process which seems to be mdk10-ce.

10.0 CE without any updates installed:

1. the default icons in kde and konqueror look just great

2. the fonts are even better than in 9.2, no need for windows fonts here

3. my digital usb camera works now. When I plug it in, an fstab entry is automatically created, also a /mnt/removable mount point. Can browse the files in konqueror. After installing digikam from contrib it feels like heaven ;-)

4. K3b works without problems. New is: when I insert an empty cd, k3b launches auomatically.

Am I just lucky because of my hardware? Did I mentioned that the NIC, soundcard, graphical card ... are working out of the box?

Inkubus, I hope that 10.0 Official will work for you!

@!nkubus:

Actually I had two (test)installations of 10.0 CE

1. urpmi --auto-select (via ftp)

I guess that was an upgrade/update ;-) I deleted my .kde directory

To my surprise: no problem, never did that before.

2. a fresh install on a different partition with the three cd's. Looks and behaves the same as 1.

I am using No 1, No 2 was only for testing and is meanwhile overwritten by something else.

That won't help you I fear.

My hardware: p4 2 GHZ, MSI mainboard, nvidia gf460 mx, realtek nic onboard, c-media sound onboard, CRT Dell monitor, ps/2 mouse, ps/s keyboard.

I don't use a seperate home partition

( I need a lot of partitions for my livecd testing stuff...)

Edited by anna

ok thanks.

one last thing did kFind hang when you search the entire computer starting at / ?

because it was doing that from a 9.2 kde 3.2 upgraded, and it is doing the same thing on a freshly installed mdk 10.0 CE.

thanks again.

sorry for my english, i'm from quebec and my main language is French. so i hope my posts are clear enough.

ok thanks.

one last thing did kFind hang when you search the entire computer starting at / ?

because it was doing that from a 9.2  kde 3.2 upgraded, and it is doing the same thing  on a freshly installed mdk 10.0 CE.

thanks again.

sorry for my english, i'm from quebec  and my main language is French. so i hope my posts are clear enough.

kfind? Never tried. But if think I've read about a bug in kfind, not sure.

What i know for certain, there are at least 6 new versions of kde since the release of 10.0 CE.

And almost every day more 'fixes' are showingup on the update mirrors, and the fixes are fixed again and again. For me it looks like a sort of 'normal' cooker proces, but I might be wrong.

Ah, and my English isn't good either ;-)

updates did not resolveall the troubles, still have ugly fonts, and still ahve ugly icons, ill post a screenshots later, i'm at work.

a leeast k3b start without crashing.

the update broke my mcc skin and the remove software does not working, it wont let me click on my search result.

thanks.

I used Mandrake Update and picked the first mirror in France. No problems.

K3B: No problems.

Only issue I had was getting USB to work. Easily solved by adding acpi=off noapic in the bootloader, and deleting acpi=ht.

My hardware: Gigabyte GA-7N400-L Nforce2 mobo, Athlon XP 2500+, 1 GB DDR333, ATI XPert 2000 Pro AGP, 2 x 61 GB Maxtor ata100, 1 x 160 GB Maxtor ata133, NEC ND-2500A all in one DVD/CD burner, Logitech Cordless Mouseman Optical, MSFT Internet keyboard (soon to be change for something else), 15 inch Generic Analog TFT flat panel monitor, HP Deskjet 3820 on USB, Panasonic KX-P1123 on Parallel, and cable modem on onboard NIC.

K3B love my DVD/CD and no setup was required. No issues with magicdev or anything other than Mozilla Messenger is worse than version 1.3.

that's the point....and it's the same for every release....every 6 mths, what works for ya now, may not next time, and that works both ways. This time, for the first time, I'm on the raw end of the deal. No biggy.....not Official yet.

Well, that about describes it bvc.

Its always been a shame and the confusion over renaming doesn't seem to be helping.

(I wonder what those who BOUGHT it from the mandrake site think ?)

Anyway, for once we have to wait with baited breath.....

Will OFFICIAL really be different ???

I HOPE so. :D