K-Menu icon

liquidzoo

Mandrake did a little hack for their version of KDE 3.2 and it changed the name of their kmenu icon.

Want to change the default star icon to the one that your icon theme's author intended? Read on:

Head to ~/.kde/share/icons/ This is where your user installed icon themes will be (as long as they were installed using the tar.gz files like ftom kde-look)

Select the folder of the icon theme that you are using, or that you want to use.

Go into the size folders (16x16, 32x32, etc) and into the apps folder. The 2 most common are 32x32 and 48x48

Locate the icon named kmenu.png and rename it to menuk-mdk.png

Then reload your icon theme (K menu -> System -> Configuration -> KDE -> LookNFeel -> Icons, select a new theme, then your original theme and click apply)

Then you're all set. You should have a new menu icon. With this method, you should be able to select any icon you want to be your new K-Menu icon.

Many thanks to Mysti who helped me find the correct icon name.

• 2 months later...
I don't have a ~/.kde/icon directory, nor do I have a kmenu.png file anywhere.

So now whats my next move?

If you have not installed any icon themes, you wouldn't have the folder.

btw: It's ~/.kde/share/icons

If you find an icon theme you want at KDE Look and install it (per instructions available on that site) then you will have that folder.

Otherwise, the default icon themes in KDE are in /usr/share/icons

At the command line:

su
[enter root password]
mv oldname newname
exit [to return to your own user]

Via the Applications menu, select File Tools, then File Manager - Super User Mode. Enter the root password then navigate to the file in question. Right click to rename.

• 1 month later...

It's funny. I thought I was the only one that didn't like the star. I mean, it's not ugly or anything but it just doesn't fit for some reason. I wonder if they got the idea from SuSE using the little gecko icon. Anyway, thanks a bunch, LiquidZoo...

Edited by korsam