Are all SB Live sound card owners screwed?

no21

I tried what you suggested bvc, and the sound still does not work.

I guess I should maybe modify my topic to say "all Dell SB Live card owners are screwed.'

Thanks for your suggestion, bvc.

I guess I'm reduced to no sound for now. I've googled for hours and tried so many things.

MAJOR bummer.

For what it's worth, I had a dell at work that cooked with Mandy 9.2, not only the lg cdrom, but the hard drive as well. Go figure!

I had trouble getting my SB Live! to work in 10ce as well. Wasn't a laptop though. The solution was to use the emu10k1 driver and select OSS in the KDE sound configuration tool.

For the laptop version I would think it had something to do with ACPI or the interrupt assigned to the SB Live! chip. Try disabling the plug and play OS in your bios if Dell has that option.

The other problem I had in 10ce may be related. My USB wireless card worked in 9.2 but refused to start in 10. I was missing the kernal parameter to disable acpi on boot. Once I copied the configuration from my 2.4 kernel USB worked again.

I'm not sure why you mention laptops in your reply. I have a desktop PC.

I don't have the option to turn of Plug and Play in my BIOS.

I was missing the kernal parameter to disable acpi on boot.  Once I copied the configuration from my 2.4 kernel USB worked again.

I'm new enough that I don't know what that statement means.

I appreciate all of your feedback, however. Further clarification would be even MORE appreciated! :D

No21

For what its worth (not much) I have the exact same problem. Mandrake Control Center describes my SBLive! card exactly the same as yours and I get similar results from lsmod and have a similar etc/modules.conf. I have a Dell Dimension 8600 and, after extensive searching, as far as I can tell... we're screwed.

I'm new to this Linux thang. Is there any hope someone out there will write a suitable driver? Is there an appropriate place to request such a thing?

be2

Other than google the first place to look is in the kernel-source (likely in Documents) for a file about that card. It's should say who the maintainer is for the card in the kernel and have an email or website where you'll likely find infoo on this prob. There's always the kernel archives/mailing list for info/request/help/questions.

• 1 month later...

It might be worthwhile to just chuck the Dell SB Live! card and purchase a barebones OEM SB live! 5.1 for $35CDN (approx. $25US).

I recommend a card with a copyright notice of 2002 or earlier. The 2003 version is not properly recognized in the ALSA version that comes with LM9.2. It may be properly recognized in the ALSA version that comes with LM10.0.

Glitz.