totally totally new to this

Start with this link:

http://dominia.org/~jlee/inspiron/

It should have links to the files that you will need. Of course, then fun part will be getting them onto the notebook to begin with. In addition, you may want to send an email to the person who created that site and ask them for a little advice.

Here are two more links for support with Dell Laptops

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/

http://tuxmobil.org/dell.html

Good Luck, your gonna need it

Edited by fuzzylizard

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the help. I should have known something was wrong when nothing worked. So we now know DELL INSPIRON 2600 has crappy video card and will NOT WORK with Linux. At least so far version 10 i586. Even the Knoppix won't load on this thing. So I'm off now to the Dell site and so some research over there and also to the above links. Someone must have it working some how.

LOL What a interesting journey this is..will keep on trying..

Hey everyone, I found this over at Dell: Should help people like me...

Inspiron 2600 Linux video limitation SOLVED Options

Hi everybody. Just wanted to let all the Linux users disappointed with their Inspiron 2600s know that the problem has been solved. The solution is here:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/linux/c40...00.html#xfree86

This fine fellow has created driver patches to get around the legacy video limitations. As of right now, I'm running XFree86 on my 2600 at 1024x768x24, using 8 megabytes of memory for video. It's kind of a lengthy process to get it working, but well worth it. The driver doesn't allow for gamma correction or for anti-aliasing, but I think that's a small price to pay for being able to use a superior operating system on the 2600. Please send this guy an email thanking him for the hard work. Despite Dell's and Intel's lack of support, it works.

If anybody has any questions that aren't covered on the webpage, I'd be happy to help out in any way I can. Send me a message at dustin@lovellsonline.com.

So it works now, eh?

Congratulations are in order for not only getting the thing working, but also being willing enough to play around and work at it long enough to figure it out. Many people would have given up rather then face a challenge like that.

That is the great thing about the open source community, problems do not stay as problems for long. Sooner or later someone is going to come up with a patch that will solve the problem.

You are definitely not a Linux no-nothing anymore. :D

With all the effort that you spent, don't forget to post a screenshot over in the 'Show off your desktop' thread.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=6343

Edited by fuzzylizard

Hey everyone, I found this over at Dell:  Should help people like me...

Inspiron 2600 Linux video limitation SOLVED  Options     

Hi everybody. Just wanted to let all the Linux users disappointed with their Inspiron 2600s know that the problem has been solved. The solution is here:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/linux/c40...00.html#xfree86

This fine fellow has created driver patches to get around the legacy video limitations. As of right now, I'm running XFree86 on my 2600 at 1024x768x24, using 8 megabytes of memory for video. It's kind of a lengthy process to get it working, but well worth it. The driver doesn't allow for gamma correction or for anti-aliasing, but I think that's a small price to pay for being able to use a superior operating system on the 2600. Please send this guy an email thanking him for the hard work. Despite Dell's and Intel's lack of support, it works.

If anybody has any questions that aren't covered on the webpage, I'd be happy to help out in any way I can. Send me a message at dustin@lovellsonline.com.

... driver patches

... XFree86

... gamma correction

That's just not fair! First pretending to be a n00bie and then spreading around all this technical chatter :P

Anyway, I'm glad you got it running.

no no not me fuzzy...I just found the post ..and put it up for people to try...I haven't tried it yet..

LOL going to take me awhile..

thanks though..

Hehe, oops. Good luck then.

You should go back and put the whole thing in Quote marks or something then. Or use the little quote button that sits above the textfield. Hey, if you do get it working, then just quote my last post, it will still apply.

ok..so here's the scoop:

I have three errors: 1) Unable to open /dev/agpart

2) i810-no video bios modes for chosen depth

3) screens found, but none have a usable configuration

4) fatal error, no screens found

ok, now I can't even run the knoppix live...but I'll start another post on those errors..but can someone tell me something besides the above:, how does one go and edit the XF86config file?????? or how do I bring up another one and save it as that file...I can't access any of the linux files on my computer. All I see is the c: windows hardrive..

bren

as root, you can either edit the current file or write a new one with XFdrake.

To edit use nano as it's much easier than vi. Install it with

urpmi nano

If you can't do that for some reason and have to use vi do;

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

When you're done editing and want to save the file do;

Esc : wq and hit Enter

that's

Esc

:

wq

and hit Enter. To quit vi w/o saving change wq to q!.

Esc

:

q!

and hit Enter

To write a new file and have to old renamed run

XFdrake

(case sensitive)