OSNews reviews Mandrake 10CE

linux_learner

i think the title says it all. go read the review and lets see what you think.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6327

I think it was a pretty fair review. My experience has been similar.

I'm on a 1.2 ghz athlon on a damaged mother board. I find that my computer is both faster and more stable in all applicaitons than any previous release i've tried.

i also found a number of naggin problems after the initial glow wore off. Like my printer completely failing to work (though that's fixed now) and some conflicts between my dial-up and my ethernet, also fixed now.

I love the autoplay dvd and audio cd feature. I have reconfigured it to autoplay my DVD's in xine in fulscrean mode. Life is good.

Theonlyplace I thought he was at all unfair was talking about mandrakes QA department (I'm assuming he meant QC). However, I can't blame him as this restructuring of th release pattern is confusing.

I do have to sayon a side note, that I think mandrake would do well to reduce the number of releases. I think 2 versions per year is allready too much, and to double that so there's a CE and official of each is asking for trouble. I understand why they're doing it,to help smoke the bugs out before selling retail packages, but I think it would be better if they just slowed their releases to accomplish the same.

a review for an rc/non-Final? k :rolleyes:

I thought it was funny though that someone who had never heard of eroaster emailed mdkSoft :lol: .....not that newbies don't have an opinion, they just shouldn't have a review for all to see on a major linux new site. :wall::zzz:

how can anyone :sad: over an rc/non-Final? (not an actual question) :wall:

I agree with Veedub:

I do have to sayon a side note, that I think mandrake would do well to reduce the number of releases. I think 2 versions per year is allready too much, and to double that so there's a CE and official of each is asking for trouble. I understand why they're doing it,to help smoke the bugs out before selling retail packages, but I think it would be better if they just slowed their releases to accomplish the same.

I was planning to do some testing on a beta / RC. But as I don't have an enormous lot of time, when I was ready to install the beta the RC was there, when I had downloaded the RC, CE was already announced. It just went too fast for me to help in testing.

They should give more time for that , and if that means one release a year instead of two, that's OK by me.

Ciao,

Sitor

You guys miss one important point: Mandrake (as all linux distros) has to make 2 releases per year at least for hardware support.

No one is forcing you to upgrade.

As someone who once had to compile a kernel for something as simple as dvd playback (chipset too new, no dma), which was really not clear as to where the problem really was, I know what I'm talking about.

The hardware cycle is at high speed, so linux software releases must be fast too.

I realise this brings along many inconviences, but considering the alternatives, I'm a taker.

Also, the software improvements are going very fast, so there's an advantage there too.

aRTee,

You are very right that HW support is very important, but I do not think that does mean that you need to create a new version per sé. I should think that it would be possible to include such support in an update.

Anyhow, what I'm saying is that there is a quality issue, and that in order to fix it, more time should be given to people who are willing to test to do so.

Ciao,

Sitor

I don't think the release cycle is going to change any time soon. Apart from the technical reasons noted above, the only way linux distros can make money is to issue a new release. The alternative would be to charge for updates which I don't think anyone would like.

Guest Adriano

I thought it was funny though that someone who had never heard of eroaster emailed mdkSoft  :lol: .....not that newbies don't have an opinion, they just shouldn't have a review for all to see on a major linux new site. :wall:  :zzz:

how can anyone  :sad: over an rc/non-Final? (not an actual question) :wall:

A couple of points:

- Perhaps Eugenia hasn't yet realised this is a Release Candidate, and dubs it as a stable release.

- OSNews isn't a major Linux news site. It's a major BeOS news site :jester: .

As an aside, I've always thought someone with the kind of jihad that Eugenia pushes about GUI perfection should at least learn how to write in English properly, shouldn't they?

- What's eroaster? Perhaps it has been deservedly (or is it deservingly) forgotten... I certainly would like to forget about X-CD-Roast. Now _that_ is a GUI nightmare.

a review for an rc/non-Final? k

I thought it was funny though that someone who had never heard of eroaster emailed mdkSoft  :lol: .....not that newbies don't have an opinion, they just shouldn't have a review for all to see on a major linux new site.

A couple of points:

- Perhaps Eugenia hasn't yet realised this is a Release Candidate, and dubs it as a stable release.

- OSNews isn't a major Linux news site. It's a major BeOS news site :jester: .

As an aside, I've always thought someone with the kind of jihad that Eugenia pushes about GUI perfection should at least learn how to write in English properly, shouldn't they?

- What's eroaster? Perhaps it has been deservedly (or is it deservingly) forgotten... I certainly would like to forget about X-CD-Roast. Now _that_ is a GUI nightmare.

1. Someone that out of touch shouldn't be writing a review.

2. OK, beos, I wouldn't know, I don't waste so much time with others opinions. :D I just see links about linux posted for there all the time. :unsure:

3. You've never seen eroaster either? :o I've never installed and configure mandrake and NOT seen eroaster :zzz:

:D

Edited by bvc

I thought it was funny though that someone who had never heard of eroaster emailed mdkSoft  :lol: .....not that newbies don't have an opinion, they just shouldn't have a review for all to see on a major linux new site. :wall:  :zzz:

You have to admit the new release schedule is wacky at best. I realy can't blam the guy for not understanding that this isn't final, as it IS a release and not a release candidate. It's a release by definition just because they released the thing outside of cooker, but it's not "realy a final" as such. i have never heard of a software company doing such a thing. Just hink how many posts there have been just in this forum about whether or not it's a "fianl" release and just exactly what it is if not final. And we all use mandrake every day and follow it's development.

Also, I have to disagree about the idea that he shouldn't have a published review. I think reviews by nobs are often the most telling. The review that made me try my first distro (Lycoris) was by a non-linux person as was the review of mandrake that made me give linux a second chance after the dismal failure of lycoris. If some boob that can't tell the difference between an RC and a cinal can set it up, then that says a lot.

nobody gives a hoot if Linus Torvalds can set up the distro. you know what I mean?

Final, rc, ah well...

Eugenia is a woman. Not a man, hence, not 'he'.

Veedubb, look at debian, then tell me there is no similar software release process. Sid, Sarge, Woody. Testing, Unstable, Stable, don't know which order...

I for one, applaud Mandrake for the new release cycle, and I applaud Eugenia, for indicating what she thinks Mandrake may want to improve before 10.0 Official.

And also, she does indicate that there will be an Official Edition.

Lastly, I may not always agree with her, but in her defence: she is not a linux newbie, certainly not a guru, but she has on average 4 different distro's installed on her 2 or 3 machines. Read some more of her reviews and find out.