Mandrake 9.2 urpmi is locked

Neemoe

Reboot your computer (there are other ways of doing this, but rebooting is the easiest.)

open a terminal and type

su (it will ask for your root password )

rpm --rebuilddb

Your rpm database should now be unlocked. Update your rpm stuff in the update software section of the mandrake control center so this does not happen again. (if you haven't done so already)

when you say it is locked, how do you mean? please explain..........

are you trying to update via CLI? when you do urpmi.update -a, are you getting an error message? if so, what is it? or, does update just start hanging on a source?

or.....

are you trying to update via MCC->software media manager? again, if so, what error(s) are you getting?

without knowing the specifics, here's a few things you could try........

in terminal, as root, run the command top. (just type top, then hit enter) it will show a list of running processes. if it shows urpmi or mandrake update is running, kill it. just type the letter k & it will ask you which PID number to kill. if the top command doesn't show it, then try ps -aux & again look for those processes & kill them.

if an instance isn't already running & urpmi stops & just hangs when it gets to an update source, try eliminating that source. i've run into that several times. if an update source is unavailable, sometimes urpmi will just hang at that source.

if those things don't apply, then method number 3 is to simply reboot. (yes, i know, you shouldn't have to do that in Linux, but contrary to popular opinion, sometimes you have to) a reboot might very easily reset things.

if that wouldn't work, then you could try the following command in terminal as root....... rpm --rebuilddb that will rebuild your rpm database. sometimes it can become corrupted & that should fix it.

Chris

Edited by chris z

Hi, I've just installed 9.2 from some CDs I burnt about 6 months ago, and I had this same problem when I tried to update. I've now done all of the above (removed the update, re-built the rpmdb and rebooted). Now when I try to update it says it can't find a network connection to get the mirror list. My network's working fine, I've disabled firewall... still nothing. :wall: The thing is, it doesn't seem like the server's down because it comes up with the error instantly.

:help: