stupid AC'97 problems 'gain

T1TAN

hi everyone! (again..)

i've got some problems again. no sound, checked all the volume controls (kmix, aumix..), nothing worked. now i finally got some "via audio combo" driver from viaarena.com but it requires kernel source to compile.. when i run the compilation i get somethng like "linux directory does not exist". i know what it means (/usr/src/linux if i'm not mistaken..) but it seems that i have no source installed (at least i couldn't find it, nor in the software manager) so i got myself 2.4.x and 2.6.1 sources.. AND i don't have /usr/src/linux at all. i also tried creating it as root but all i got was "access denied"..

i'm quite a n00b, and eager to learn about linux, but not without music/sound, this has a terrible impact on my enthusiasm.. so please, PRETTY please, HEEEEEEELP!!! :wall:

try "modprobe pcspkr"

then edit /etc/modprobe.preload, add 1 line, "pcspkr"

then type lsmod to check if it's been loaded.

if you're using Mandrake 9.2 the kernel is 2.4.22-10mdk. Mandrake 10.0 uses 2.6.3-4mdk.

Now I got a problem of my own, my speaker doesn't speak, it whispers. Volume in kmix and alsamixer maxed out, but still very soft. I'm pretty sure my ears are working fine :unsure: so somebody please help me too. :woops:

Edited by arthur

If you're running 9.2, you'll have to download the kernel-source package from a MDK mirror site. It wasn' t included on the ISOs. IIRC, it was on earlier versions of MDK, and is included with 10CE. If you have update sources configured for urpmi, you can just issue the command

urpmi kernel-source

(as root) to install the package, or you can use the Install Software section of Mandrake Control Center (search for kernel-source).

Once the source is installed, you'll see that /usr/src/linux has been created and is a symbolic link to the actual source directory (something like /usr/src/linux-2.6.3.-7mdk).

One thing you want to check: make sure that get the source that matches the kernel you are running. You can use the command

uname -r
to get your version.

If you find that urpmi is offering a choice of kernels (say, if you're running 9.2), you may be better off manually ftp'ing the package and installing it directly.

As for adding the via drivers - others will have to help you -- I have other hardware and haven't had to do that.