Local mirror as a backup

buccaneer

Local mirror of which server?  Your own?

You can do it a number of ways.  If just a backup, you could rsync everything in terms of configuration for DNS, squid, Apache, samba.  I don't see a reason for doing a backup of the squid cache, as it expires anyway.  With rsync, you can use it just to pick up changes, and also with the --delete parameter, it will delete and user data that was deleted between backups.  Otherwise, it will just keep adding and adding files even if a user deleted.

Rsync can be done over SSH, or you can setup rsyncd on the server in question, and then just make a cron to run nightly.

Alternatively, if you want to mirror it, you could also have it run as an active/standby server with HA.  If one fails, then the other becomes active without having to restore data from a backup.  It all depends on what exactly you want to achieve.

The website is for a Community Radio Station (2nim-FM) the website is http://nimfm.org in the famous alternate lifestyle villiage of Nimbin NSW.
As the organisation is run by volunteers in a place with a transient population there have been
a total of eight system admins over a span of 16 years who have all added their own flavour to the capabilities of the servers.
Box #1 has the apache, DNS ,SMB, and houses the MP3 record libraray, streaming server/aidio logger (legal requirement for broadcast licence)...
amoung other things
Box #2 has the proxy and perhaps the mail server (from memory)
Box #3 (dead) I am told had a Mirror of box #1

It sounds like your alternatve method is what I am looking for Ian Thank you for your help and....
PS

nice to see someone still lurking here

To mirror it you'll need a second server with all the same services that you have on the other servers.  However it will require changes to the existing servers if you want to replicate the data and have it shared between them.  You can use glusterfs for that.  You can configure heartbeat for failover to the server with the data copied and services doubled up such as apache, DNS (bind), samba (smb), etc, etc.  It's not going to be too simple to do, it will take a bit of work.

PS - likewise, and glad to see someone popped in to post :)

I suggest haproxy it will probably be easier than heartbeat with ldirectord.  With heartbeat and ldirectord I use direct routing rather than masquerade, as it's faster, just a little more effort to set it up.  So if you want something simpler for the beginning, use haproxy as it's pretty straightforward.

• Upvote 1