Mandrake 10 Fonts

pling

Hi,

Thanks for all your help, but unfortunately changing the order didn't make a difference. I changed the order to exactly what you suggested then

1) exit X

2) as root, type service xfs restart

3) watch the syslog for any error messages. It will list what font directories it couldn't find and stuff.

4) re-start X

There were no error messages.

My .gtkrc and .gtkrc2 both say:

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT

include "/usr/share/themes/Galaxy/gtk/gtkrc"

include "/home/andrew/.gtkrc.mine"

So I don't think the problem is there. I've almost exhausted all the tips and suggestions I can find to improve the fonts, with no success, its very frustrating.

Thanks for all your help,

I might try doing a clean install on a spare partition and see whether I get the same problems.

Cheers,

Hi,

Thanks for all your help, but unfortunately changing the order didn't make a difference. I changed the order to exactly what you suggested then

1) exit X

2) as root, type service xfs restart

3) watch the syslog for any error messages. It will list what font directories it couldn't find and stuff.

4) re-start X

There were no error messages.

My .gtkrc and .gtkrc2 both say:

include "/usr/share/themes/Galaxy/gtk/gtkrc"

include "/home/andrew/.gtkrc.mine"

So I don't think the problem is there. I've almost exhausted all the tips and suggestions I can find to improve the fonts, with no success, its very frustrating.

Thanks for all your help,

I might try doing a clean install on a spare partition and see whether I get the same problems.

Cheers,

Hmm. And what do those included gtkrc say about fonts?

In my theme (GTK2-Step), the fonts are defined like this:

font = "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

i.e. use the first Helvetica font you find, don't mind the encoding, use Medium weight and font size 12.

-Sascha.rb

Addendum: Should those italics problems only appear in Web browsing, make sure you either a) have the common web fonts Arial and Verdana installed as TTF or B) set your browser to override font choices by web sites. In Firefox, the option would be called "always use my fonts".

-Sascha.rb

P.S. what libfreetype6 do you have installed? -.rb

Thanks again for all your help, but I have ended up doing a reinstall, since I had spend so much time playing around with the fonts I figured it would be quicker just to reinstall. Now my fonts look good, I even reordered the font config files re: your suggestion thanks.

One of the differences was that when I imported my windows fonts I ran drakfont from a terminal and ended up with many errors and bad fonts. I then removed these fonts and used the KDE font installer which worked great.

thanks again.

Hi,

No I didn't have any problems with the icons, they all displayed fine.

In relation to the freetype rpm, it fixed my problesm, apart from the italics issue. It will be interesting if you have the same result.

You should note though that if you install the plf freetype rpm, it's virtually impossible to uninstall, as urpmi says that practically every program you have is dependent on it and trying to force an uninstall is problematic.