YAST going open source

spinynorman

Eeek slow down.

Thats not good.

opensource and Opensource are different things depending on who's developing

Any and every blind setup tool is BAD for linux (in fact *nix) in general.

This applies to MDK wizards, YAST etc. etc.

Actualy let me qualify.

There are those who bleeive that a single distro is the best thing for linux.

Well Beos has that.....

BSD to a point, until it split again.....

etc. etc.

However, linux continues..... WHY???

Its certainly not becuase its the BEST..... its TCP/IP stack is a mess compared the the BSD's ... security isnt as good as Solaris or AIX etc.

In fact, what seems to breath the life into linux like no other OS... is its differences. Or perhaps its different distro's and the independance of the distros from other parts of the FLOSS world like KDE/Gnome or apache etc.

The beauty of linux is that simple tools like apache or nfs, dchp, etc. are configured and set up independantly of the distro.

Those who want DESKTOP linux for the masses might think that NFS and DHCP servers are not important. that they can be left to server products.

I dont beleive so.

Look and compare to Solaris or AIX or IRIX. These are all OS's and make no distinction between servers and workstations, indeed only one OS does!

Distro specific tools if they ever start to dominate will be the DEATH of linux.

Nothing will ever be the death of linux. And to get more marketshare, linux must be easier to get and available everywhere.

BTW didn't you know that linux is immortal? :D

I think it's good that YAST is GPL. Blind setup tools no good? Wow, you prefer an installer where you have to do everything? Thought not..

Blind installers have their place, they also have to work. As long/soon as they do, all is fine. As long as you can get dirty with what lies underneath. This is still the case in all linuxes.

Wow, you prefer an installer where you have to do everything?

I do :unsure:

nonetheless, this is a good move for a company to do...just any such major company open sourcing something like this is good, i don't care if it's a poopy installer :P

Depends aRTee,

Some distro's have a true blind setup. Write over your existing installs etc.

These are one kinda distro, personally I think they won't last becuase they don't preserve data or customisations etc.

As people get more knowedgeable thy often end up with purer distro's.

Installers are a waste of time, they should only be used once as the debian guys say :D

Really MacOSX seems to have achieved this!

Honest, i think Linux is only immortal like the greek pantheon.

Each of them like achiles has one weakness!

If you try Lycoris/Lindows you can still get dirty under the hood.

Unfortunately thay are made so you REALLY have to rip out the whole engine to work on it.

If you look at Slack, you don't even to pop the hood on most stuff!

Anyway, company adoption is dependant upon the same distro being suitable for desktop and server. This isnt needed, thats just how companies think!

Linux has survived on servers for a long time, this is its natural environment so to speak, the place it has no competitors or lack of food.

But for a long time after linux developed primitive lungs it was able to clamber out of the server soup for a short time and grab the odd convert. However although there was a lot of food on WindowLand for it there was also a lot of competition for that food that smaller creatures more adapted to life on land were able to snatch.

Recently the land animals have started to colonise the coatal area into the sea. they are aware that the lini have been taking there food and they are getting mighty predatory about it.

some wait on the beaches to catch the lini as they leave the safety of the sea, wheras others have deiced the best way to deal with it is to pollute the sea. They are busy making modified TCP/IP's the little planton like animals that lini feed on in the sea. But these TCP/IP's are a virus, they are designed to pervert the others they meet and prevent them breeding further.

Some think the lini will one day inherit the earth (or was that the meek?) However their bastion is the server-sea.

Guest JaseP

As a SuSE user (SuSE 8.2 Professional), I applaud this as well. Yast is as good as any setup tool for Linux going. It is simple yet powerful, and you can always do things by an editor if you still want.

If all Mandrake tools are Open Sourced (GPL'ed'), couldn't a particular distribution use it's Windoze font importer/converter tool? After all, if you've got Windows, you probably paid for it, so if you dual boot means in my ignorant user opinion, that you can actually USE the fonts included in Windoze. I don't see the platform you are running here as relevant.

So why hasn't any distro done that? Is it due to technical difficulties with regards to font rendering or something? Just guessing out of the back of my nose here... 'cause IMHO this is a great tool for people coming from windoze.

Does anyone know?

Darkelve

The gui tools in the server market are either to make the SA's job easier or to make the job qualifications for the SA easier. I go with the latter. :P

Heck, Sun joined the gang long ago with "smc", to me its a big slow java bomb, but non the less makes the SA's thought process easier.

To me, the gui stuff is glitzy and fancy to look at, but it will break and if you don't know how to open the hood up, your screwed.

BUT, I do think it was a smart move by Novell in the same token. :P

The gui tools in the server market are either to make the SA's job easier or to make the job qualifications for the SA easier.  I go with the latter.  :P

Heck, Sun joined the gang long ago with "smc", to me its a big slow java bomb, but non the less makes the SA's thought process easier.

To me, the gui stuff is glitzy and fancy to look at, but it will break and if you don't know how to open the hood up, your screwed.

BUT, I do think it was a smart move by Novell in the same token.  :P

You elitist distro-ho :P

Anyway, here is my thought about gui config tool. They are nice to have. In fact, it is actually very important to me since I think graphically instead of text. So if I think apple, I saw a picture of an apple instead of thinking of the word apple. Also a good gui config tools will save your butt when you are over editting the .cfg file and something screwed up and you don't want to reedit them by hand :)