I keep wrecking my Knoppix HD installl

my fstab (cdrom)

/dev/hdc        /cdrom  auto    ro,user,noauto                  0 0
/dev/hdd        /cdrw   auto    ro,user,noauto                  0 0

One way that works for me is to rt-click the kde panel (kicker)>Add>Applet>Devices and configure for the desired devices. Then click them to u/mount/open. For gnome just rt-click (then I think)>Devices and click which you want to mount>then dbl-click the icon that appears on the desktop to open it.

Let's see if I can create devices on the desktop/kde......

....yep...rt-click the desktop>Create New>Device>choose type etc...>rt-click>mount>open it. pretty much the same for gnome except rt-click>New Launcher>choose type, or somehting.

Doesn't work for you?

Thanks again bvc!

If I right click on kicker, add applet, 'decices' is not listed.

But I changed my fstab as you show, so now I can access those devices, but an error window opens and says

[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab

Almost there!

Thanks.

ummm....I took mine out. Google? Anyone else? I know it had 'auto' in it. :unsure:

Oh, and thx, but I am not a genious....I've just been around long enough to see and have done most things, is all. Google helps me a lot.

Edited by bvc

Just an update, I followed cyberjackle's link in this forum entitled 'debian installer -beta3' to get where I am now, with a fully functioning (almost) Debian install of Sarge, which I then upgraded to Sid.

Risky, I know, but what the heck?

It seems now that what the problem is, why I originally posted this topic, is that a Knoppix hd install won't upgrade to kde3.2 without that error I said at the beginning of this, (kdelibs-data) was the offending package, but when you just install with the Debian netinstall, it will upgrade fine.

I have been playing with it for a couple days, and there is one more problem you guys will know about- when I type 'firestarter' as root (to try and start the firewall) I get this error:

debian:/home/mike# firestarter

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

Xlib: No protocol specified

(firestarter:31109): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

debian:/home/mike#

Is this a permissions thing, or what do ya think?

update again,

Found out that by typing

xhost +

before su'ing to root will manage this problem.

Thanks.

(Oh- the same thing happens when I try to start xcdroast)

Edited by 83mercedes

1) When you do a Knoppix HDD install, always choose debian style. Knoppix style will not work when using apt-get

2) Knoppix is created from the debian "unstable" directory.... why are you fooling with testing?

3) Knoppix 3.4 is coming out real soon. Also Overclockix is a rip of Knoppix 3.4 ct. Unlike the normal knoppix it has gnome, but is missing some other software.

1) When you do a Knoppix HDD install, always choose debian style. Knoppix style will not work when using apt-get

Right, Igot that.

2) Knoppix is created from the debian "unstable" directory.... why are you fooling with testing?

I remember hearing you should not upgrade 2 steps at a time, ie from stable to unstable, because you can get more errors that way? At any rate, the sources.list had listings for stable, testing and unstable; what I did was comment out stable and unsatble, so I could dist-upgrade one step at a time.

Hope that makes sense....I didn't realize I was actually dist-upgrading "backwards", so to speak..

In any case, the Debian sarge netinst disk has worked for me as an alternate method of installing Debian, so I am grateful for that

If you look around this forum for a post called

"debian newbie can't get into x",

you will be amazed at the rough time I was having trying to install the "old way".

:D