I keep wrecking my Knoppix HD installl

Maybe I am the only one, but installed Knoppix 3.3 on my spare drive, and it works very, very, well.

I change the sources.list to "testing" and, apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade, and things still work well, but after doing this a few times, my system starts getting slow to boot, which is bad, so I try changing to "unstable" and doing it all again, now is when it gets hosed, for some reason it hangs up on installing 'kdelibs-data' and there goes KDE, no more worky, and no way that I can find to fix it.

This has happened more than once, so it's not just a fluke.

Anybody have any ideas?

Other than just "don't do that anymore"? :lol:

Thanks.

I can only think to do an install that's debian and not knoppix. It's not hard, IMO. I've had probs w/ dist-upgrade as well in the past but they were kernel and alsa related. I was somewhat suprised because of all the great things I had heard about apt. Shoots down apt over urpmi IMO. I went from 9.2rc2>9.2>10-cooker>10-beta1 with urpmi with no probs, well one but it was a cooker issue of stupidity, was X and kde related, and was resolved by installing a few more pkgs.

then have a stable debian that's hosed? Deps is the prob, not the level of stability.

Also, dist-upgrade isn't something you should do on a regular basis anyway, though many would argue they do it weekly, I'm sure. You're not going to get any more cutting edge every week. I do it once a month or less. If I did it every week I would have reinstalled by now as well which defeats the purpose of running debian, but then I don't believe it's any better than urpmi in this arena and I say that from my own experience, so....hehehe ;) take it or leave it. There's no such animal as a 'never have to install a new version'...never is a strong word. OS's are made by man, and WILL fail.

I once had an uninterupted/totally optimized/stripped 2.5 year install of win98...it was a sad day when linux killed it. :P

Edited by bvc

Thanks for the replies.

I agree that URPMI is at LEAST as good as apt, from my experience.

I primarily use Mandrake, cuz that's what I started with, and cuz inspite of some major or minor flaws with each release, it always seems to be the most idiot-proof to me, and functional without too much fussing around with it. I do like Mandrake.

But having too much 'free time' and an incurable curiousty to see how things work (and how to break them), I have reached out to try other distributions, and I really liked SuSE on my old AMD machine, it worked great, but not on this one, which is a Intel p4 with "hyper-threading" (what is that anyway?) At any rate, SuSE didn't play well with this box.

So Debian is a challenge, to try to get my hardware all working, (which hasn't happened yet, except for the Knoppix install).

So now I will try the Debian installer rc3, and see if that helps much.

Thanks again.

You must use the Debian documentation to stay on track with any flavour of Debian. AFAIK, bvc is correct about dist-upgrade but I would take it one step further and state that it has been deprecated and should not be used at all. There is an apt-get how-to and several man pages which I doubt are included in the Knoppix install. It is also correct that you will hose your setup by changing to stable or testing. I always suggest that the Debian Reference Manual be downloaded as a PDF and kept for a ready reference.

Counterspy

AFAIK, bvc is correct about dist-upgrade but I would take it one step further and state that it has been deprecated and should not be used at all.

Counterspy

ah, so that's why synaptic buttons and prompts changed :unsure: ...I hadn't looked into why yet. Thanks for the heads up! I'll do more research.

Another point (completely different track) is Knoppix isn't designed as a HD install. Sure it works GREAT but it leaves some little left overs of the LIVE cd. (Remember the HD install is a add on)

I switched my HD install to Kantonix which claims to be pure Debian (I olny say claims becuase I haven't found any probs YET)

http://kanotix.mipooh.net/

Although I just messed up my damned apt with a dep problem between mencoder-k7 and mencoder-686.....

I apt-get installed acidprip which installed mencoder-686, I thne decided to manually choose the k7 version!

AHHHHH

don't even think of installing Knoppix on a laptop. It's good as a live CD, but unless you want to recompile the kernel and do lots of editing (XF86, et cetera), don't install it on any laptop. Use Debian instead. Or mandrake :)

As the warning signs everywhere say, it's not designed for HD install. It won't be as 'neat'.

I third (or is it fourth?) that suggestion of not using a knoppix-hd install as your primary linux distro. Sure it makes a quick and dirty way to have linux in your computer but I find that although knoppix's hardware detection is extremely great, it is quite lacking in actually using them. This is especially true for monitors (especially old non-digital monitors). Mandrake's installation is actually better at detecting monitors (or at least give you choices for old monitors that have settings that works) than knoppix. Not to mention that the menu system seems to be very very messy. I found out that the time I saved from installing knoppix are taken away (and then some) by the time I use to install/update the needed things (kernel source, drivers, etc) and cleaning up the menu mess.

Good points, and well taken. I am glad I'm not the only one, at any rate, who sees a problem with apt.

I just tried using the Debian sarge netinst cd, and got it installed, but of course, now it won't go into X, so again I will try another method. Like maybe just the standard, traditional install.

I got that running before, but never could get my printer going.

When I get frustrated there again, I will probably just give it up for a while, and gather more patience and try again.

Thanks for the pointers.

Actually yes, I think it's beta3, it's about a 100Mb cd image which I downloaded and burned and installed.

Pretty cool, but not really much easier than the regular type install, I think.

Problems:

Can't figure out how to install NVIDIA drivers, I've done it a hundred times before, it comes with

kernel-2.4.25-1 so I found the kernel-source-2.4.25, the NVIDIA installer fails saying it can't detect the nvidia kernel, or some weird stuff like that.

Also, how to get working icons for CD, DVD and Floppy?

If I put a disk in and click on the icons I made, I get: error mount: only root can do that. I have checked permissions.

Strange, maybe you have ideas? I would like to figure this stuff out.

on NVIDIA/debian, you have to install the matching kernel-headers as well. Sound like a pain? No, see, you can install 10 or so mb of kernel headers and not need to install the kernel-source. I install both though.

If I remember rt....ummm....I'll be back on the cdrom issue.....I d/k or use flopppies and take it out of fstab.