[b]Drivers nightmare!![/b]

Guest iglak

OK. So I have MANDRAKE installed on my PC. And...

1) My printer is not recognized by MANDRAKE. I use HP LaserJet 4L and I haven't had problems with it EVER!!! Can there be anything more popular than HP anyway??

What should I do? Look for Linux drivers on the net? OK. But..

2) My modem is not recognized by MANDRAKE. I use Zoltrix Generic 56K HCF (Spirit). There are no drivers for LINUX on Zoltrix web site. Well OK. I guess I won't be able to use Internet. At least I can play games. Or maybe not...

3) Any games that use 3D work extremely slow. Changing resolution to 320x200 and turning off all fancy 3D stuff doesn't help. My computer is quite fast and I haven't had problems with 3D games. I have Voodo3 card (MANDRAKE found it properly)

Well. That's it. I've been using MANDRAKE for 5 hours. It's my first contact with Linux so I have still some patience. But these 5 hours have been a nightmare. Can anything else go wrong?

Please, please help!! I might have done sth wrong during installation or maybe I should configure system somehow to make my devices work. I am still eager to learn Linux but I must admit I expected a little more from my first encounter to it.

I will be very grateful for any advice concerning my problem.

Thanks.

Well, lets start with your printer first. You don't say what version of mandrake your using, your printer is supported in mdk 8.2 and mdk 9.00.

Try this, turn off your computer, turn your printer on, then reboot your computer. Then go to mandrake control centre and launch the printer wizard ( add printer ) your printer should be listed.

After doing the printer stuff, please list your hardware so that I or someone can trouble shoot your vidoe issues. (Is it an NVIDIA chip?) If you do not know your internal hardware, just state what the computer is with the model number, and I can look up the guts stuff.

The first time I was on linux, which was Mandrake 7.0, I had to access the net with my windows. Back then, there was no support at all for infamous winmodems. There is some support today for this type of modem, but the average user does not realize the difference between a winmodem and a real modem. ms thinks the processor should have to be the brain for everything in the system, including printers and scanners! Hence, modems, printers, and scanners without brains are everywhere, and these types of hardeware items are totally dependent upon windows id'ing them. Much work has been done by linux people in order to have this artificial hardware run in a real os.

Guest marcelo

Regarding the modem issue, if this is your modem...

http://www.zoltrix.com/support_html/modem/...VSP-drivers.htm

... then you may use the Conexant drivers for Linux:

http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/

Make sure to download an HCF driver with the correct kernel version (there are instructions on the bottom of the download page telling how to do that)

I also have a Laserjet 4L, and it works fine (in MDK 9, but also ok since 7.2)