Mandrake 10.0 ****** up my HD

aze

my point is simply:

it is what mandrake says it is. it's their release, it's their way of doing it, it's their distro. it's called Mandrake 10.0 Community Edition.

I don't see RC in the version number anywhere. what's to discuss?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said: i tried everything the point is that the HD was not recognized when booting with any micro$oft boot.

Does your hard drive work now? (not sure if you resolved your problem or not)

IF yes, well congratulations.

IF no, the do as I stated in my other post on this thread. YOU WILL recover your hard drive, just will have no data on it.

As for Mandrake, I am just a newbie in the world of linux. I have trashed my linux distro's more times than I care to count but each time, I learn more. Don't give up on Mandrake as of all the distro's I have tried, this seems to have the best support group (thanks to the people on this forum). I have tried Gentoo, RH, Fedora and SuSE. Have found pluses and negatives in all distro's (including Mandrake) but as I said, the forums here have kept me on the Mandrake path.

Regards, Steve

I don't see RC in the version number anywhere. what's to discuss?

I won't argue that because I don't think that's a very good way of articulating the issue. What's really behind the RC comments is the belief that mandrake did not accurately represent the level of "finish" of CE, (i.e. it's no more finished than a typical RC) when they announced the availablity of CE for download. I think that's a fair criticism and one that shouldn't be swept under the rug with a semantical argument which really doesn't address the underlying complaint, particularly since some people got burned pretty bad as a result of mandrake's lack of clarity on that issue.

If it ain't called an RC, it ain't an RC. If we want to argue about level of "finish", i'd gladly say that Mandrake has never had a "Final"-in that regard. But, what we have is 10.0 Community Edition, a possibly buggy release, that should be called a buggy release if it is such, but we should not be argueing over whether or not it's an "RC". That isn't the issue, as you've pointed out.

Heck, we haven't even determined what happened to this guys system! He's/She's claiming mandrake is a virus, everyone else is argueing over whether or not it's an RC, and we apparently haven't provided him/her with any tips or ideas he/she hasn't already tried.

my suggestion, aze: get the utility (should be able to find it on the website of the manufacterer) that comes with your hard drive to scan the drive and make sure there aren't any physical deffects, or any other defects, which may be the root of the issue.

Edited by tyme

Isn't this the new Mdk 10.0 CE is an RC isnot istoo isnot istoo?? :P

Anyway, yes, what has not been seen before is that there are so many more bugfixes; this has to do with the fact that they are indeed working toward a more polished and solid OE. But 10.0CE is not less good than any other final Mandrake has released before. OE however, will be better than anything they ever released before.

1) because many people installed CE, many more than any RC

2) because the mandrake developers are working on it as if their jobs depend on it, which is actually the case... normally, they would be on cooker by now, working toward the next point release.

It is all good news, except for those who spent a lot of money for 10.0CE - but to me it was clear the moment they first issued the press release about CE and OE. Can't help it that people don't read properly anymore.... :)

About the idea of 'people getting conned into being beta testers', I can only say: if you're going to use it, be a beta tester, report bugs, etc... this is linux, you know, where your bugreport helps fix things in the future that you will then have free access to...

Heck, we haven't even determined what happened to this guys system!  He's/She's claiming mandrake is a virus, everyone else is argueing over whether or not it's an RC, and we apparently haven't provided him/her with any tips or ideas he/she hasn't already tried.

Here are the steps that the Mandrake errata site suggests:

Problem: Windows doesn't boot anymore after modifying partitions table

Solutions (only temporary solutions)

- Change disk access mode to "LBA" in the BIOS settings and reboot in windows should work

- use a floppy disk from FreeDOS? (http://www.freedos.org/) and do a 'fdisk /mbr' and you should be able to boot again - 17 Mar 2004

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/...Main/Mandrake10

And I would add:

- Make sure that the 'virus protection' or similiar in the bios is set to 'off'

- one can also use a win98 boot disk and do a: fdisk /mbr

- and/or using the Windows XP install disk to boot and do: fixmbr (and add. fixboot)

I've seen so far 5 persons who could boot again after performing these steps, starting with the LBA setting! And they say it's not a 'mbr problem' but a corrupted partition table.

I am writing this because more people who are installing 10 CE could still encounter this problem. - The OP aze obviously prefers to talk to 'guys only' and won't read my suggestions ;-)

I think the partition table is part of the mbr, or at least located there, i.e. on the first sector of the hard drive(first 512 bytes), along with the boot loader. But please, let's not start another battle of words over definitions. :cheesy:

Edited by pmpatrick

The first sector (512 bytes) of every hard drive has a master boot record (MBR), which contains the boot loader and the partition table. The boot loader is the first program which is run at startup, and decides what to do based on the contents of the partition table.

am writing this because more people who are installing 10 CE could still encounter this problem. - The OP aze obviously prefers to talk to 'guys only' and won't read my suggestions ;-)
Heck, we haven't even determined what happened to this guys system! He's/She's claiming mandrake is a virus, everyone else is argueing over whether or not it's an RC, and we apparently haven't provided him/her with any tips or ideas he/she hasn't already tried.

I have not participated in the debate about whether 10 CE is an RC, Final, or whatever.

I have taken the time to try and help this individual. I have given him/her not only suggestions but a sure way to get his/her hard drive serviceable again. I still never got an answer from him/her to the question of whether his/her problem has been resolved, though this person has seen it. Don't know what more to do to help this person. Heck, even told the person to post a msg with any questions on the steps to be taken and I would answer them. Btw... I'm a guy so don't let it get to ya Anna :D

As for not providing tips:

Another tool that can be used to recover your hard drive is efdisk. First, follow the advise in the above post about the fdisk /mbr command. That will wipe out lilo or grub in the mbr. Doing this will allow you to boot windows. Once that is done, do google search for efdisk.

It usually comes zipped in a package with some other utilites. All you need is the efdisk.exe after you unzip the package. Delete the rest of the programs that came with it. Copy efdisk to your windows boot floppy (you may have to move the tab on the floppy to allow writing to the floppy first). After you have a copy of efdisk on the floppy, write protect the floppy again. Reboot using the floppy. At the dos A prompt, type the command efdisk.

Using efdisk will allow you to delete any partition type on your hard drive. (fdisk does not do this, only window type partions).

Once you have deleted all your partitions, you can now repartition your hard drive. No more messed or trashed hard drive. (though you will have to reinstall your windows and linux, you will have a hard drive that is now the same as when you bought it)

Any questions on using efdisk, post and will do my best to answer.

and

My experience with XP is limited. I prefer 98 until some more issues are fixed with XP. BUT, I do have a laptop with XP on it. When I installed v10ce, it did (reason unknown) mess up my MBR. I could not boot either XP or linux.

I used a window98 boot disk (was all I had as the XP was part of the HP restore disks). I typed the command fdisk /MBR and then rebooted. I could then use XP.

So to anwer your question:

Is it a good idea to use FDISK /MBR on a XP system?

I do not know, but in my case, using the fdisk /mbr worked perfectly and allowed me to boot windows XP. I just need to figure out what the issue was when linux installed the bootloader (lilo) that caused the mbr to become corrupted to the point that XP and linux would not boot.

Again.. what I have provided WILL give him/her a serviceable hard drive as he/she was upset about not having a useable 80gig hard drive. To quote him/her:

I already lost my LG cdrom and now my 80gb maxtor hd!

Regards, Steve

Folks

I am reminding everyone that this is a forum for assisting people who have problems and desire the input from others who might have a soultion. Such things as "what this release really is" belong in Everything linux, or even Off Topic. Make posts unrelated to the presenting problem in the appropriate forum. Please do not post anything else here that is off topic to the presenting problem.

Thanks

Edited by Ixthusdan

Hey guys!

I just installed mdk 10 distro but I cant boot up any more.

I tried to boot up with windows xp cd but nothing happens.

my hd is a Maxtor 80Gb. I have installed windows xp and mandrake 9.2 but after mdk10 installation I cant access fat32!

:wall:  :wall:  :wall:

please guys, its urgent

thanks for any help!

The presenting problem