Vegastrike open source space sim

johnnyv

I posted on the other forum that vegastrike wasn't that great, but now i have played it a bit more i am changing my mind.

It would be possible to mod the game easily as all game data is specified in xml files, and it open source :D

there is a multiplayer part and netcode is going to be developed.

anyway i think it's worth checking out if you like the space sim games of elite style with more modern graphics.

here's the link

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

I found it not too easy to get it going but it works and there aren't too many bugs :wink:

beware around 75meg of downloads for you 56k'ers :!:

The projects looking for artists and modelers if you happen to do either and want to help out gravy.

I had alook at this a while ago and didnt bother in the end because of the download on a 56 k modem. I had another look and decided to try it this time, because i liked frontier elite 2 on the amiga and after downloading it for UAE i just couldnt remember how to do anything.

So after downloading it over night i installed it and all its dependecies except for a libpng one which I ignored (another program a while ago needed libpng.so.2 and i couldnt find it then so on someones suggestion i created alink to libpng.so.3 and renamed it libpng.so.2, and it worked) I then proceeded to install it using the rpms. However when i come to play iy i get a screen saying loading various bitmaps, it the drops out and their are screen fulls of libpng warnings and then a final error. Here are the last few lines.

libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12

libpng warning: Application was started with png.c from libpng-1.2.1

libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library

libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library

Fatal Signal: Segmentation fault (SDL Parachute deployed)

So does anyone have any solutions as i really would like to try vegastrike as it looks like a decent opensource game, and i really did like frontier elite 2. Im not sure what to do

did you install using urpmi?

I can't remember exactly what i had to do to get it going, but i do remember it was abit of a pain.

I beleive i hunted down every dependancy on rpmfind.net

urpmi list what packages you need.

I'm no linux guru, my suggestion would be to remove the vegastrike rpms and start again using urpmi.

place all the related rpms into a single directory and install from there.

cd /directory with rpms

su

root password

urpmi *.rpm

iif there are any dependancies find them and put the rpms in the same folder, then urpmi *.rpm again untill there are no more dependancies.

Like i said im no linux guru maybe someone else here has a better way.

oh yes you might want to add some download sources to urpmi like the pfl site, http://plf.zarb.org/ details on how to do this are in the docs section of www.mandrakeuser.org, basically at the command line as su type these 2 commands.

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://plf.zarb.org/cooker with hdlist.cz for cooker

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://plf.zarb.org/8.2 with hdlist.cz for 8.2

That is one of the libraries that is used by many programs and you found out that you can't do that with libpng.so.3. You can go back a version of Mandrake (8.1) if you really want it. Urpmi will not solve this problem.

Bluebeard.

I am using Vegastrike with 8.2 so i must have got it

infact im home now and just looked at my software manager

I have libpng 2 and 3 installed

libpng2-1.0.12-2.1mdk.i586.rpm is the rpm you probably need

I got it off rpmfind.net

just search for libpng2 and type mandrake for the system part of the search

libpng2 was in mandrake 8.1 yes bluebeard but you can install it in 8.2

• 2 weeks later...