Mandrake 9.2 Freezing

jhipkiss

I've recently installed Mandrake 9.2 on my main machine, however every so often everything just freezes and the only way out is to hit the reset button!!! :wall:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to start trouble shooting this?

It doesn't have any recognisable pattern nor is it liked to running any particular software, this problem has no prejudices!!!!

It is however making the machine unuseable, as I can probably only work for 10 or may be 20 minutes before it all locks up!

H E L P!!!!!

Thanks

Jonathan

Just for the record, when your experience a freeze, the proper course of action is:

1. Try to restart the X server by hitting ctrl-alt-backspace

2. Try to switch to another virtual console by hitting ctrl-alt-Fn, where n is 1 to 6; if you are able to do so, you can login and kill the process which locks up your system

3. If this doesn't work, the next thing to try is to login remotely if your computer has a ssh server running or something similar

4. If all this fail, hit alt-sysrq-S,U,B (without letting go of alt-sysrq). Sysrq is the print screen key. Those key sequences go directly to the kernel: alt-sysrq-S syncs all your drives; alt-sysrq-U unmounts all mounted filesystems; alt-sysrq-B is an immediate reboot. Doing alt-sysrq-S,U,B is much more clean than hitting reset and will work 95% of the time.

5. If event alt-sysrq-S,U,B fails, that means the kernel itself is not responding. Hit reset.

You know, you're not the only one with random freezing of Mandrake 9.2.

Just for the record, when your experience a freeze, the proper course of action is:

1. Try to restart the X server by hitting ctrl-alt-backspace

2. Try to switch to another virtual console by hitting ctrl-alt-Fn, where n is 1 to 6; if you are able to do so, you can login and kill the process which locks up your system

3. If this doesn't work, the next thing to try is to login remotely if your computer has a ssh server running or something similar

4. If all this fail, hit alt-sysrq-S,U,B  (without letting go of alt-sysrq). Sysrq is the print screen key. Those key sequences go directly to the kernel: alt-sysrq-S syncs all your drives; alt-sysrq-U unmounts all mounted filesystems; alt-sysrq-B is an immediate reboot. Doing alt-sysrq-S,U,B is much more clean than hitting reset and will work 95% of the time.

5. If event alt-sysrq-S,U,B fails, that means the kernel itself is not responding. Hit reset.

You know, you're not the only one with random freezing of Mandrake 9.2.

Those are some top tips, I didn't know any of that. Thanks

The first option Ctrl-Alt-Backspace worked after my last freeze. So at least we now know that it's X-Server that's freezing.

Still don't kow why though. I guess it's my video card (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440) but I don't know what to do about it, www.nvidia.com seems to be constantly down :-(

We need to find out what hardware you are using.

Also, check whether it is only X that hangs (which unfortunately, also hangs monitor, keyboard and mouse, however everything else works). So enable ssh service, and when it hangs.. use another computer to ssh into the problem computer and see if everything else works.

I took this tip from alt.os.linux.gentoo:

>I've had some luck playing with the nVidia AGP settings - edit your XF86Config

>

>Section "Device"

> Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce"

> Driver "nvidia"

> #Option "NvAGP" "0" # disable agp

> Option "NvAGP" "1" # use nvidia agp

> #Option "NvAGP" "2" # use agpgart

> #Option "NvAGP" "3" # try 2 than 1

> #VideoRam 32768

> # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate

>EndSection

Everything now works fine! Or at least does so far!!!!!

Thanks for all your help and and I hope this tip helps someone else.

Jonathan