flash plug-in in mandrake 10

ozp11

I can't make flash work in any browser......

read this:

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/flash.html#libs

[/code]Q: Flash Player fails completely! (Linux)

A: If Flash Player does not work, make sure you have libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 on your system. This file is in the following packages:

RedHat: compat-libstdc++

SuSE: compat

Mandrake: libstdc++2.10

Alternatively, you can try the Flashfix tool (http://wintrmute.net/software/), which patches the Flash plugin to get around the dependency. Note, however, that it is not supported. [/code]

I've downloaded this flashfix, but there is no instruction on how to use it....

even if this file is obvious to an expert user, a end user will not know how to do with such files.

Regards

Edited by ozp11

download

libstdc++2.10

from a cooker mirror (ML-10) into a dir, put the flash rpm in the same dir, and in a terminal as root in that dir

urpmi libstdc++2.10 flash

or just

urpmi flash

(or flash-plugin....whatever it's called)

or do each individually with

rpm -ivh name_of_.rpm

Edited by bvc

Hello everybody! :D

I run Mandrake Linux 9.2 Download Edition on my laptop. Flash plugin doesn't work. :wall:

I installed the package of my distribution (so I run Mozilla 1.4). I also installed the mozplugger.

Neither the swfdec package contained in the installation CDs, nor the .tar.gz you download in the site of Macromedia site (http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/alternates/) both as user and as root, without any result.

I also installed the libstdc++2.10 (again for the installation CDs), but it does not work!

I wonder if I had to copy some files in some mozilla directory... This is strange since every other time I had to install the flash plugin I downloaded it from the Macromedia web site and all was ok...

:help:

take a look at THIS THREAD . go to page 2, near the bottom & look for VILLA21's post where it mentions creating a sym linking a libstdc file. it pertains to Firefox, but people have commented it works for Moz too.

Chris

If you run Firefox from console you can see the error messages. Something like "cannot open libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3, bla-bla,....

So, it looks for libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 but we have a different version, eg give :

locate libstdc++-lib as root and you will get libstdc++.so.5.0.5.

Simlpy make a symlink :

ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.5 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

..and it works!

:)

Edited by VILLA21

Just found out that there is a new Macromedia flash-plugin version for Mandrake 10.0 - flash-plugin-6.0.81-1.i386.rpm:

http://macromedia.rediris.es/site_ri.html

On my system I didn't need the libstdc++2.1 anymore.

Works fine with konqueror. Don't know about Mozilla, firefox et al.

anon, is it possible to add this rpm to the MUB download section (if it works with mozilla too ...)?

I just used that link and it works fine in mozilla on 10.0 CE. Ignore the PGP warning and install anyways. No need to open a terminal (console), I just saved the RPM to my downloads directory and then double clicked on it.

Thanks a lot chris z!!! :D

Now if I go to http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/ I can see the Flash animation... But not the Shockwave one... (actually, if I am not wrong, there is no Shockwave Player for Mozilla under Linux). Am I wrong?

To sum up, I write down (my) steps to install Flash Player in Mozilla (at least for Mandrake Linux 9.2).

Install the following packages:

mozilla-1.4-13mdk

mozplugger-1.3.0-5mdk

libstdc++2.10

Probably, the second is not necessary for the aim... but I'am telling exactly what I did...

Do not install the following packages:

libswfdec0-0.2.2-3mdk

swfdec-0.2.2-3mdk

swfdec-mozilla-0.2.2-3mdk

Just now I see swfdec-0.2.2-3mdk for the first time among all packages. Previously I did not install it, because I searched among packages with the key word "mozilla" and it did not appear. I installed only swfdec-mozilla-0.2.2-3mdk, but even with chris z suggestion flash player did not work. I don't know if flash will work with all these tree packages are installed + chris z suggestion (if you like this way, try and report!).

chris z & VILLA21 suggestion: as root run

ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.5 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Download the player from Macromedia web site. Install it: login as root in a

terminal, type

tar -xzvf install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz

cd install_flash_player_6_linux

./flashplayer_installer

When it asks you the directory where to put the player I said

"/usr/lib/mozilla-1.4" instead of the default "/usr/lib/mozilla". Both

directories exist, but the second seemed to more rich...

Now it will be all OK with mozilla and flash!!!