Help choosing a webpage design software.

Hello, I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the Software forum.

Anyhow I think this involves programming, so here I post.

My wife is contracting to a university some research work. She's been asked to help design a webpage for the course that she's researching.

Neither of us are webpage designers or programmers. We got Frontpage with Office, and she's Windows only.

I've been trying to convince her to 'come over to Linux' for a while now, if only for emails, but she's happy :wall: to use outlook express.

Can you programmer types out there suggest a "Frontpage(easy) Equivalent(not produce MS crap)" app in Linux that will not create 'Frontpages' :furious3: for her. It created some weird crap for her that was later correctly hand coded by her Father, a web designer, that worked well.

I've no idea what to use, but this is "your big chance" to sway her over. :cheesy:

C'mon everyone don't let me down :lol2:

BTW; I just upgraded to MDK10rc1, very cool, minor bugs aside (it is rc1 after all).

Rpm's or source, doesn't matter. Rpm is better, then I'll let her install it.

BTW(2); If you all want to convert someone over to Linux from MS then you don't show them the CLI. I'll let her find that she needs it at a later stage, when she's more reliant on the Linux box. :lol:

thanks

Edited by arthurking

If you're serious about web designing, I would suggest Quanta Plus.

BUT: people who use Frontpage probably aren't serious about that (or just ignorant or misinformed, it all comes down to the same :P ).

I would suggest to check out Nvu: Nvu website

They are specifically developing this as a replacement for Frontpage. They are building on code from the (older) Mozilla Composer.

That's really the only one I can think of...

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

The only thing I could suggest, aside from Nvu, would be to possibly check out OpenOffice.org. It supposedly has a webpage part to it. Although, I think it is more like creating webpages in Word that in Frontpage.

Note :Sorry I missed the "Linux App" in your message before I posted what's below...all the stuff below runs on Windows Machines...except Netscape Composer which does run under Linux)

I have a collection of all sorts of programs Net Object Fusion, GoLive (Mac and PC), Homesite, Adobe PageMill (obsolete) and programs from CoffeeCup Software.

Have a look at the programs at http://www.coffeecup.com

Specifically http://www.coffeecup.com/designer (what you see is what you get )

and http://www.coffeecup.com/html-editor/

They are $49 each

Or check out the big cup offer http://www.coffeecup.com/bigcup/ for $149 and get 7 website design software packages + pop-up and spam blocker

If nothing else download the trial versions of Designer and Html-Editor and try them.

Other choice for free, Netscape Composer (Win, Mac and Linux)

Edited by cjc

Thanks for the replies.

I should have made the point that, Frontpage works well if everyone in the world used IE. And yes, She is ignorant and misinformed :lol2:

I assume the same goes for Netscape/Mozilla?

My problem was/is as an advisor to 'her royal majesty' I'm also ignorant.

But I think I'll push her towards vi.

Not sure what she'll think of the way the mouse behaves though. :P

cheers.

AFAIK the composer part of mozilla produces w3c compliant HTML so it should work on any browser (note the should). I've heard good things about nvu and that would be your best bet. Hand coding in vi is not a great idea for a newb (hand coding in emacs however is perfectly sensible :devil: )

I think you need to seperate out the different parts of Web design.

SO/OO is OK but produces quirky code but its nice and easy.

Quanta/bluefish not bad...

I think the important part is to let her open the same web pages in different editors according to what she want to do.

That is you might create something in OO but clean it up in bluefish or quanta etc.

vi is really cool with context highlighting !! but probably not the best onto :D

If it's just a single project - Download the Dreamweaver trial, do it on Windows and be done with it.

Is she trying to pass the class? Some of Frontpages code is horrific - then again Yahoo site builder and a free account will let her get an A in all likelyhood. From what I've seen, unless it is a web development class the teacher's expectations are pretty low ;)

It's a temp/one off thing at the moment.

The original job was researching stuff for the actual course. Women's studies or something.

The person she's contracting for was impressed by my wife's researching that she asked her to design the web page for promoting the course.

A one-off, but who knows where this will lead her.

Note: Father-in-Law is a bit of a guru in web coding, he came down for a holiday over this weekend and helped to clean the Frontpage code. Wife was impressed with Notepad's ability :lol2:

All recommendations will be looked into.

Thanks.