skinning

Urza9814

This is just for basic discussion of making and, more specificially, applying, skins for anything!

I personally would like to know how to make themes for IceWM, GAIM, Mozilla, and anything else!

I'm actually willing to switch to Kopete instead of GAIM if I have to for skins...I've done a few wallpapers (http://LinuxInfo.web1000.com), but I want my comp really dark...and having a bright grey mozilla doesn't really work...and the cool mozilla themes don't work with 1.6 :(

uh...by that you mean...?

if you mean 'wallpapers?' as in 'what are these 'wallpapers' you speak of?'...I guess it's a windoze term...the screen background...

If you don't, then I've probably just insulted your intelligence...but I have no clue what you mean there :P

Edited by Urza9814

but I want my comp really dark...and having a bright grey mozilla doesn't really work...and the cool mozilla themes don't work with 1.6 :(

did ya try this one:

http://themes.mozdev.org/themes/negativemod.html

I just successfully installed a theme with MDK 10 and Mozilla 1.6 from that site.

Seeing this is a jar file, if you know a bit of java and how to open one up and edit it, you may be able to create a skin with your own colors and buttons.

The only skinning I have done is with forums. These only involve knowing a bit of HTML and being able to find your way around the site's structure without messing up the php code.

Yea, that's the one I want, but I'm using mozilla 1.6 and it won't let me use the one for mozilla 1.5 :(

The only skinning I have done is with forums. These only involve knowing a bit of HTML and being able to find your way around the site's structure without messing up the php code.

lol...the only skinning I have done is with Trillian. That involves knowing how to open up files in MS Paint, edit them, and save them! :P I AM A SKIN GENIOUS! :P

[edit]

I got that mozilla skin to work...I was just doing view>apply theme, causing it to say 'this theme was designed for an earlier version of Mozilla. Click OK to remove it' or something...when I did it through prefs though it worked.

I thought there was a way to get that to work...'cause that's the skin I was using before I went to Mandrake 10.0, and I thought I'd had Mozilla 1.6

Edited by Urza9814

Hmm...the site is there...and the link points to the site that is there...but it doesn't work. So I typed in the URL of the site that is there...and it still doesn't work.

So I renamed the site that is there, and typed in the new URL of the site that is there, and it works

So now I will change the link to the site that was there to link to the renamed site that is there that was the site that was there...and hope it will work

Until then, here it is: http://LinuxInfo.web1000.com/Wallpapers.html

I was replyin to this a week ago but internet screwed up.

Anyway, the only way to learn to make themes is to open up an existing theme and mod it

If you want to make some GTK themes, download one of the ones on my site and just change the pngs, thats an easy way.

With WIndow Manager themes i ususally draw it in GIMP then cut it up into the needed pieces and then save them. Then it's just a matter of modifying the theme file.

Have a look at fluxbox, its not as powerful to theme, but its fun, very easy and has enough options to keep you happy for ages.

If you are feeling ambitious, open up a metacity theme and poke around. its the only way.

Many themes including Metacity and Gdesklets (ok.. not a theme but anyway) use XML, which is very easy to learn, w3schools.org

I dont know much about the KDE side of things, i find KDE cluttered and therefore dont use it. I prefer gnome

Have fun and if you need help, if you have any problem with ANY theming, just say something and ill try to help!

1) will fluxbox run fast? anything slower than IceWM will not work until next friday (ETA of my RAM...depending on how fast their RMA dept works)

2) metacity???

3) yea...I should learn XML...I was thinking about that, because the user name and times and stuff of kopete (I think it's kopete) can be made with XML :P