KDE broken

neutro

I'm using MDK 9.1 and recently applied updates for the KDE 3.1 packages.

I'm currently running:

- kdebase-3.1-83.5mdk

- kdelibs-3.1-58.3.91mdk

- kdeutils-3.1-9mdk

to name a few. Well since that update, I noticed that three things seems to be broken.

First, SFTP access with Konqueror. Typing "sftp://username@servername" in the URL bar of Konqueror always worked; now I wait for a while and get a pop-up window with the following error:

Unexpected SFTP error: 2 - Konqueror

Error encountered while talking to ssh

and then a blank page with "Could not connect to host localhost". However I assure you that ssh and sftp are working properly as I can use them from the command line.

Second, kghostview: I am able to see previews for PDF or PS files in Konqueror, but when I open them in kghostview, it waits forever with a blank page (wristwatch icon). On the side I get the markers for the pages but nothing get displayed. I can open the PDF's fine with acroread, but I was begining to find kghostview superior...

Third, KDE keeps forgetting file associations. Not immediately, but now and then, I would double-click on an open-office file and KDE wouldn't know what to do with it, even if I always enter the right path to the binary and check "remember this association".

Those problems are present even under new users so it's probably not a profile issue. Anyone has a clue about what is going on? I tried reinstalling those packages, but no change was observed. Is my only hope installing a newer version of Mandrake? I'm not sure if reverting back to the original 9.1 packages for KDE is a wise thing...

where'd you get the updates from? an mdk update source? hmmmm.......

i'm on mdk9.2 using kde3.1.3. my versions of the kde packages you listed are.....

kdebase-3.1.3-79.1.92mdk

kdelibs-common-3.1.3-35.1.92mdk

kdeutils-3.1.3-20mdk

you don't have the complete package versions listed. unless somebody comes up with something else, you might wanna try this...........

go to mcc->remove software & remove the updates. then, go right into install software & install those packages from the mdk9.1 cd's & see if you still have the same problems. if not, then the updates are indeed screwing up KDE somehow.

Chris