Sound Problems

mikejr

The mandrake installation went a little too easy :zzz:

I have just noticed that I can't play CD's. I have two drives, the one on top is a DVDrom and the one beneath is a CDRW. When I put a CD into the top drive, nothing happens. When I put a CD into the bottom drive, the CD Player program opens up, but I hear nothing... I can't seem to get it to recognize CD's. Games have sound, everything else seems to work sine.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Mike

what cd player are you using? KSCD in KDE? if so, or for any cd player for that matter, check to make sure you have the proper path to your cd player in the options. in KSCD, click on the button with the hammer & screwdriver on it & look where it says cd-rom device & make sure it points to your cd player, not your dvd player, "apply" "ok", quit KSCD & restart it.

Chris

also, when you say you checked the volume settings in your mixer, which mixer did you check? kmix or aumix? if it was kmix, check the settings in aumix because they override kmix settings. kicker->mutlimedia->sound->aumix.

Chris

Yes, it is pointed to the dvd player, and this is ok, as I would prefer to listen to cd's in the dvd player anyhow... This also suggests that I can't use the CDRW to listen?

I also found this thread at:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ar...2003/04/4/54741

suggesting that this whole matter is due to a needed cable between the drives and the mobo so it will work in linux...

well, the work around would be just to make the path to your cdrw player, not your dvd player. i'm not entirely sure, but i don't think KSCD can play cd's from a dvd player. try changing the path. can't be that much a big deal to listen to cd's in your cdrw player, can it? :juggle:

Chris

the path should be /dev/cdrom(0,1,2........etc) with the number depending on how many cdrom devices you have & where it is installed (as master or slave device). you can check in /dev/cdroms & see what yours is listed as.

Chris

try installing aumix. it's on one of the mdk cd's. open mcc->install software & type aumix in the search box. install it, then run it & adjust the settings. if it doesn't automatically put a shortcut in kicker->multimedia->sound (it should) the just run it from terminal by typing..........

aumix

hit enter

Chris

if you mean a sound cable, it's easy enough to check if you have one. (though i don't understand why you wouldn't) just do what they say in the link you posted. if for some reason you don't, just go to your local computer supply store & pick one up. they only cost a few dollars & can be installed in a minute. just 2 plugs to plug in. other than that, i'm stumped as to why the sound isn't working with the cdrw. but the more i think about it, it could be you do have a sound cable but it's plugged into the dvd drive. if that's the case, you could test the theory by unplugging the cable from the dvd & plugging it into the cdrw & see if you get sound then. if you do, before you go get yourself another cable, make sure there's an extra connector plugin on your sound card for it to be plugged in to. if not, i THINK you can get a cable splitter of some sort or a 2 in 1 sound cable (2 plugs on 1 end for the 2 drives, 1 plug on the other end for the sound card).

Chris

even with integrated sound, there has to be a sound cable from your cd/dvd drives to your mobo for the sound to work. i have integrated sound here, too, but i still need to have a sound cable from my CD drive to the mobo for my CD sound to work. so, again, open your case & check if there is a sound cable hooked to your CDRW drive.

Chris