TO ALL MDK 10 USERS.

Guest anon

Anon,

I think we will all agree to move if everyone starts to use the new terminology. Just speak about CE as CE. Vent whatever you will about the quality about CE (but then with facts on CE). If you want to advice newbies not to use CE but to wait for Official, OK with me. But do not call CE an RC anymore. Please! It is complicated enough for newbies that have to learn a whole bunch of new terminology (I know, I'm still in the process).

If you will use your own terminology because you do not like the one that has been (re)defined by MandrakeSoft, you just make it harder to them.

And by the way, I think the quality of the 10.0 CE is at least equal to 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 final. Which is a very good sign for 10.0 Official, but which also means that (in my opinion) 10.0 CE is certainly doable for newbies.

So bottom line: move on with each one his own opinion, OK, but as long as your initial post remains as it is, we (at least I) will keep bugging you. Belgians (and certainly Flemish, can be very stubborn donkeys too! :cheesy:

Ciao,

Sitor

I never said you should call CE an RC. I said you should think of it as an RC.

BTW, i have never complianed about the CE release to anyone. For me it works great.

Can't wait for the final. Hey!! got any free chocs? :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anon,

You keep saying all the time it is not a final. Most people, and certainly newbies, understand thus it is an unthrustworthy thing like an RC. That is not correct.

In that case, maybe I should change my plee:

Please do not state anymore that it is not a Final, state that it is a CE that is stable but might still have some quality issues. That people that cannot or do not want to deal with workarounds required for bugs, migh want to wait for the Official.

Saying it is NOT Final, does not make sense, since the term Final does not exist anymore, and it gives a complete wrong impression of CE.

Thanks in advance for taking that into account.

And if you say that you never said it was an RC, then I guess you never meant to say so. In that case, please honour our plea to chance your initial post:

but it is really just a RC release. Think of it as a MDK-10-RC3 if you will

and

But treat the current ISO release as a beta or RC

This is what we are trying to ask you all this time.

Pleeaase change it!!

Sitor (in the role of stubborn donkey).

but it is really just an RC release Think of it as a MDK-10-RC3 if you will[

I have altered the intitial post to reflect that the post is of course my opinion. . The content (read truth) stays though, and should enlighten newbies who intend buying or trying the last ISOs. (apart from stuborn donkeys)

http://www.MandrakeUsers.org/index.php?sho...indpost&p=98179

The real truth of course, being that there is no Final anymore, we now have:

beta rc CE OE

I'm sure you, anon, would like to count me in with the stubborn donkeys, but then again, Rome did not appreciate Galileo telling around that the earth wasn't flat either.... :cheeky:

Thanks for other luminaries to also stand on my side in this debate... :twisted:

You can surely advice people to only base their opinion on the OE, or only pay money for that, fine - I even agree that people should not pay for CE, on top of which I recommend to only pay after everything works to your satisfaction.

But: what used to be called Final now is called CE.

Other than that, hey pass some of those chocs to me too! :D

Edited by aRTee

I'm sure you, anon, would like to count me in with the stubborn donkeys, but then again, Rome did not appreciate Galileo telling around that the earth wasn't flat either....  :cheeky:

:D :D :D :D :D

The point is they have now CHANGEd this page since the last time i referenced it! 

Maybe in response to anon!!! 

They now clearly #STATE

Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official, the version that undergoes a longer test period, will be available in May, as part of the complete range of Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official retail packs which include support, printed documentation and new Mandrakesoft services and tools.

Last time i checked they didn't !!!

This makes me happy :)

A simple paragraph like this can spare Mandrake a lot of trouble (not only from stubborn donkeys like us mind you!!! Oh and I'm from Flanders as well Sitor...)

:D

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

All i care about is that the CE version means that more users will have tested it than for a normal RC(suckered in or not) so when i buy the powerpack it will be pretty solid( my hope!).

And i have installed it on two work computers and the impression is pretty much everything is working fine (slow internet being the only annoyance).

I second that!!

To rewrite the startpost of anon in my own words:

To all who are interested in Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community Edition, please be aware that it is not Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official Edition!

The latter will come out in about 2 months time, and it seems that we agree that Mandrake Linux 10.0 is to be judged by that version and that version alone. (Unless you have good things to say about 10.0CE :lol2: )

On top of that, one should not spend a lot of cash for 10.0 CE, as lots of bugs and other shortcomings will be ironed out, these fixes will be included in 10.0 OE.

Go ahead, download 10.0CE, use it, test it, report and vote for bugs, and help make 10.0OE a real solid Linux distribution!

On a side note, I do not own any Mandrake stocks, should I?

Or would I then no longer be considered an impartial voice when it comes to MandrakeSoft and Mandrake Linux?

On a side note, I do not own any Mandrake stocks, should I?

Or would I then no longer be considered an impartial voice when it comes to MandrakeSoft and Mandrake Linux?

You don't have to own shares to be addicted to this damn Distro :P

I am a subscriber to the Mandrakesoft Newsletter and as a major poster at http://www.linuxiso.org/forums/index.php dealing with a large number of distros, I have never been under the impression that this was anything but what could be called a release candidate or if you like a semi-final. When you look at the updates, unlike version 9.2, all but a few were KDE and other external programs like Mozilla. When anyone has asked I have told them exactly that and I suspect we have a larger viewing public mulling over which distro to download. In my personal opinion, and I have a reputation as a highly public and vociferous critic of Mandrakesoft and its products, I can say without reservation that the Community Release was the best out-of-the-box release since pre 8, the last one I bought. I am still a vociferous critic of the Mandrake Club. To me, this represented a new era obviously in the hands of the new CEO to get the wide hardware configuration feedback which has been and is a factor in the quality of Mandrakesoft products. Perhaps they finally succeeded in locking Gael Duval in a broom closet, but I saw this as new leadership creating the Community Edition as a really good idea for a resource-limited organization without the funds to have roomfuls of test machines that the big boys have.

Since I am now only a casual visitor here, I will risk the ire of some posters by saying I have seldom seen such a puerile discussion over facts that had been clear to me from the beginning. I had to make the choice if I would download and use this distro and decided to go for it. I have been using it since as my main posting distro displacing the net install of Suse. I have no hestation in telling the undecided to try it out although we ususally suggest more than one distro based on the user's needs and experience. To guests trying to make up their minds about Mandrake and looking for answers here, this thread is a sad performance. I also notice the absence of moderators and users that I remember when I was a regular here that I know are still heavily involved in this board. Unfortunately sometimes, new people will base an opinion on this thread because of its justifiably prominent position at the top of the board. For those who somehow feel cheated and/or misled, I suggest that you examine your position and see what point you have made in your posts. All of us make decisions in haste and it could be said that it is what I did when I quit this board. For me it has been a liberating experience and an opportunity to contribute to the Linux community in a much better way. Hopefully that will happen here too as a consequence of your participation in this thread.

Good will and good luck!

Counterspy

Well, I admit.......I had to look it up....

"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)"

Puerile Pu"er*ile, a. L. puerilis, fr. puer a child, a boy:

cf. F. pu'eril.

Boyish; childish; trifling; silly.

All i care about is that the CE version means that more users will have tested it than for a normal RC(suckered in or not) so when i buy the powerpack it will be pretty solid( my hope!).

And i have installed it on two work computers and the impression is pretty much everything is working fine (slow internet being the only annoyance).

Except that if they have been suckered in then they have paid £60 (or whatever it is) for the priviledge.

As far as I'm concerned that is simply not right.

Having said that, it is possible that Mandrake never intended for people to be "suckered", but this is simply as as confusion due to the new release cycle

possibly or possibly not...

Counterspy:

1) too bad you're not around here anymore

2) moderation is kept to a minimum

3) until my repeated remarks, this thread was actually pinned at the very top - thanks anon for unpinning

4) I agree with the updates

5) but I disagree with the meaning of updates -- in FLOSS, lack of updates means the projects are dead... Ok, overgeneralised, but anyway.

6) I don't believe Gael is stuck in a broom closet, he might be living in the closet under the stairs though, but in any case his remarks can still be found in the wild in various interviews...

7) it is fine if you "risk the ire of some posters by saying I have seldom seen such a puerile discussion over facts that had been clear to me from the beginning", no harm there. We call each other cry babies all the time, and it doesn't matter, as long as we do it on finely running and finely tuned Linux machines. :lol:

8 ) see points 1 to 7, I just ran out of more points and more time.