TO ALL MDK 10 USERS.

Guest anon

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of the Community Edition as a Debian Unstable (bleeding edge). There is one annoyance in it that I have found: NON detection of USB printer with Nforce2 chipset. Not sure about NON Nforce2 and USB printer.

Anon,

You're a stuborn donkey! :cheesy:

aRTee has given you so much reasons to show you are wrong, but you just cannot admit it.

It's very simple: MandrakeSoft decides what is a final and what is not, no matter what you think. If they now say there will be two finals, i.o. a final x.0 and another final x.0.1, and they invent there own naming for it, that is their decision.

I agree with aRTee that the fact that this thread exists where you claim it otherwise is about the only thing that creates confusion for new ML users (they will find the forum very early). They are not yet used to the old terminology, so for them the new terminology would be 100% acceptable, and you insisting that the official terminology is not correct, only will confuse them.

Just stop resisting the change, and accept it. And please do edit you initial post like aRTee pleed for, so that new users are not confused.

:thumbs:

Sitor

:zzz:

Look, i understand AND agree that if we keep calling it NOT final Mandrake will suffer.

I don't want that BUT Im not about to be a hypocrite either.

Mandrake announced ....

What follows is the development process for our next major release, Mandrake Linux 10.0:

1) After the traditional debugging of several Beta and Release Candidates, the final version of "Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community" will be released in February/March. This version will be available for download and as a DVD-set through e-Commerce.

2) Then a Mandrake Linux 10.0 Stable branch will be opened, based on Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community. Security updates and bug fixes will be applied to this tree and will be publicly available in real time.

3) Two or three months later, in April/May, "Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official" will be created from the Mandrake 10.0 Stable branch. It will then be packaged for several products such as the Mandrake Linux PowerPack. Mandrake 10.0 Official ISO images will also be available for all contributors and Club Members; then, after a short delay, Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official Download Edition will be made available on public FTP mirrors."

So far as Im concerned, FINAL ... etc. are all semantics.

What is obvious is that a LATER edition will follow in April/May

Hence it can't be FINAL.

Much as I agree that this is not good for Mandrake, neither is the rest of their crap business model as opposed to their excellent distro.

IMHO more people will be upset in April/May when they discover that they are expected to PAY again for the OFFICIAL VERSION than will be upset now.

Some people seem to forget not everyone has broadband, many dont even have internet access.

The BEST thing at the moment is that the store editions of 10.0 are not available and therefore this will save a lot of people purchasing the 'FINAL' unfinished product. The BIG deal about this one is that they are SELLING it for $60 .... but without saying its not the STABLE/FINAL whatever..... that is dishonest or at least misleading and it WILL upset many of those who buy it not realising this.

What bothers me is many of these will judge linux by the actions of Mandrake!

The final/not final arguament is semantics... its like arguing about schuberts unfinished symphony... was it his last or not ??

Well he didn't write any after it but he didn't finish it either!

my two cents:

I personaly think of CE as an in-between. it's not an RC, for it IS stable. yet it's not final, since it's not perfect. It is a good release, I recommend it, because it is as stable as 9.2 (for me even more). But the thing I don't like is they are SELLING a product that is yet to be finished! if it isn't final (even if it is good, stable and all), why sell it?

This is a confusing change. It is final in form, yet not in name.

If they are searching for a burst of money, they could do it in another way, because this will make so many customers angry.... (I had to pay once, and now I have to pay again for the same thing with bugfixes?????)

Anon,

You're a stuborn donkey!  :cheesy:

aRTee has given you so much reasons to show you are wrong, but you just cannot admit it.

And I and others have given you all plenty of reasons to prove im right :lol:

OK, lets put it another way, What MDK is really saying is,The final has just been released, but another final will be released in a couple of months. Will this be called 10.2 you ask? No its still called 10.

Why have they changed the names and not called the first version 10-RCX???

Answer= Because we want more testers to try out the RC ....Oopps.. first final first. We also want you to think the first final is the real final , so you will buy it and get more money from you.

Of course, after you have bought the RC which we made you think is the real final, we will release another final a couple of months later, and call it official.. So you will just have to buy it again won't you?

This is all great news for our shareholders, one of whom is called anon, who is very happy that some of you are going to pay twice and hopefully increase his share values.

But don't complain, he did warn you. :D :D :D

Anon,

You're a stuborn donkey!  :cheesy:

yeah, the Cornwallisian is like that, like the brittany: very hard to maneuver :jester::thumbs:

Well Cornwall (Kernow) actually owned Brittany at one point in history. So naturally were generally right. :D

And I  and others have given you all plenty of reasons to prove im right

[snip]

Bullocks, I have stated 7 points as to what is what.

No argument has been made to disprove any of these points, even though some are surely not as strong as others.

In any case:

beta - rc - final

now has become

beta - rc - CE - OE.

Why not just call it what it is called? And explain what CE and OE is to newbies? I think I made a nice explanation for it, same post. CE is not an RC, it is CE. What is CE and OE? Well, see the Mandrake Press Release, and my previous post. Quite clear. No-one goes around saying that debian sid is only a beta and sarge is just an rc for woody. People explain what the development cycle looks like.

BTW in linux, all versions are just beta versions for the next one. What was kernel 2.6.2? A beta for 2.6.3. Sure. But Linus called it 2.6.2 FINAL anyway.

And Mandrake called the cooker snapshot after rc1: Community Edition. That this is a testing version for Official Edition is clear to all here, just say that. But don't say it is another RC.

It is a different beast, just as OE is different (but not unseen, viz. 9.2.1); CE is what used to be 'final'.

Read my former post, and rebut the points that are you (anyone who calls CE an rc) disagree on. If you leave some standing, than that is what we agree on.

Were just going around in circles here. Some agree with you, others obviously do not. The fact is MDK have mislead and confused many people by changing the name.

I suspect whatever is said by whoever, you will not change your point of view. Well thats fine, but i won't be changing mine either which is based on experience. Maybe yours is too? if so we will just have to agree to disagree. Lets move on eh?

Guest Adriano

hmmm... If 10.0 official is just "a polished 10.0 CE" then you shouldn't have to buy it. You'd have been able to update your merry way all along. Plus this, as others have said, makes more people use and review an "incomplete" version of Mandrake. They finally seem to be solving the Q&A problem ;)

That said, I know that some people will buy Mandrake again... Can't blame MandrakeSoft, if they make it clear that "Mandrake 10 Official is a "more polished version"... available thru updating.

Anon,

I think we will all agree to move if everyone starts to use the new terminology. Just speak about CE as CE. Vent whatever you will about the quality about CE (but then with facts on CE). If you want to advice newbies not to use CE but to wait for Official, OK with me. But do not call CE an RC anymore. Please! It is complicated enough for newbies that have to learn a whole bunch of new terminology (I know, I'm still in the process).

If you will use your own terminology because you do not like the one that has been (re)defined by MandrakeSoft, you just make it harder to them.

And by the way, I think the quality of the 10.0 CE is at least equal to 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 final. Which is a very good sign for 10.0 Official, but which also means that (in my opinion) 10.0 CE is certainly doable for newbies.

So bottom line: move on with each one his own opinion, OK, but as long as your initial post remains as it is, we (at least I) will keep bugging you. Belgians (and certainly Flemish, can be very stubborn donkeys too! :cheesy:

Ciao,

Sitor

hmmm... If 10.0 official is just "a polished 10.0 CE" then you shouldn't have to buy it. You'd have been able to update your merry way all along. Plus this, as others have said, makes more people use and review an "incomplete" version of Mandrake. They finally seem to be solving the Q&A problem ;)

That said, I know that some people will buy Mandrake again... Can't blame MandrakeSoft, if they make it clear that "Mandrake 10 Official is a "more polished version"... available thru updating.

Thats my view too.

Like I said before CE/FINAL/ whatever......

The important part is making it clear.

anon's post draws attention to the fact that whatever its called the version on sale now here 10

The point is they have now CHANGEd this page since the last time i referenced it!

Maybe in response to anon!!!

They now clearly #STATE

Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official, the version that undergoes a longer test period, will be available in May, as part of the complete range of Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official retail packs which include support, printed documentation and new Mandrakesoft services and tools.

Last time i checked they didn't !!!