TO ALL MDK 10 USERS.

Guest anon

After a few years of using MDK-Linux, owning shares in the company, and speaking to them personally, the following is my opinion.

Some of you have been led to believe that the MDK 10 released a few days ago, was 10- final .

It is Not That was just a "Community release" as it is so called, but it is really just a RC release. Think of it as a MDK-10-RC3 if you will. It was a snapshot from cooker taken around the 07-March.

If you d-load it now, there are already 300MB of updates since the ISOs were released.

My guess is 10 final won't be really final for another month or so. If you have problems with it, please post them on the board, thats what were here for!! But treat the current ISO release as a beta or RC , not the finished product.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I read, this community release, fits Mandrakes release schedule the same as any public release prior. In my opinion, yes, it may be just as buggy as the 9.1 or 9.2 release for some of you and deserving to be called an "RC" release as opposed to "FINAL".

What is new, is that they will be releasing a new set of ISOs in a month or so that will include any update issue between now and then and this will bear the name "FINAL".

And from a personnal standpoint. For once, I am one of the lucky ones. Everything works "out the box" and is running smooth here... including my dreaded USB CF reader device I have. As for these 300 megs of updates... I don't see them on the mirrors I use.

As far as I'm concerned, 10.0 is as final as was 8.2, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, that means not perfect but completely usable. And I've made an upgrade from 9.2.

So I don't agree with you anon and, again as far as I'm concerned, saying 10.0 Community is not a finished release add confusion imho.

Think of it as a MDK-10-RC3 if you will. It was a snapshot from cooker taken around the 07-March.

Well, MandrakeSoft said this quite clear I think. They say that the official release will be in May. Thus I think it's quite clear that CE is just a more slick name for Release Candidate X.

And I'm fine with that, if Mandrake gives me a free OS, I'm willing to do some final bug-testing for them!

why all of a sundden does it matter what 'anyone' thinks, and since when does anyone other than Mandrake decide what is what? :D

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/

March 4th, 2004 - Mandrakelinux 10.0 Community! - The new version of Mandrakelinux provides many new great features and is available for download right now for contributors and Mandrakeclub Members, and as a DVD set available for pre-order at Mandrakestore. Public ISOs will be available a bit later. Discover all Mandrakelinux 10.0 features, including the new kernel 2.6 integration, MagicDev and others on the feature page. A press-release is also available online. Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official will be released in May.

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/10.0/100PR.php3

Pretty simple, no?

As far as I'm concerned, 10.0 is as final as was 8.2, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, that means not perfect but completely usable. And I've made an upgrade from 9.2.

So I don't agree with you anon and, again as far as I'm concerned, saying 10.0 Community is not a finished release add confusion imho.

Well...erm what anon says is true:

Quoted from MandrakeSoft.com: http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products

10.0 Community

Mandrakelinux 10.0 is the newest version of the popular operating system.

The Community branch is designed for those who need the very latest features at the soonest opportunity, regardless of potential glitches.

Those who prefer an even more tested version should wait for the 'Official' release, scheduled to be published in early May 2004.

Its RC2 no matter which way you look at it -- besides Mandrake never released a final release this early

The usual beta testers are fewer than a wider community of users. Thus, fewer bugs and issues are caught. The community release should catch a much wider variety of hardware for testing, at least in theory. The idea is to reduce the number of bugs and issues as much as possible, before having it go 'Gold' aka released for CD/DVD duplication for boxed sets.

I never got 9.2 and am not a Mandrake Club member. So I can't get the community release for testing. Besides, I am a Powerpack user. :D Nothing but Powerpacks for me. :lol2::cheesy:

I will skip 9.2 totally and get a Powerpack Subscription again, beginning with 10.0 Official.

The reason i made this topic, is for people like you Roland, who believe it is the final. MDK themselves are not saying its the final. And when i said that MDK-10 is not the finished product, that was not my opinion, its the the truth, a fact.

Its not your fault that you think its the final, its Mandrake's. They should have explained it better. Like a few other people here have sugested, its a new way to get more people testing it before the real final.

10.0 CE is at the state of the actual releases of 9.2 and under. I read Mandrake's statement about the Community and Official releases and it was Crystal Clear to ME. I NO trouble understanding the difference. The 9.2 release Fiasco is what prompted the change.

Please remember that before the change, what was released to download after the final RC, was what was sent for CD duplication for the boxed sets!

Mandrakesoft doesn't want THAT to happen again. So everyone that downloads and runs the CE is doing everyone else a HUGE favor by helping work out as many remaining issues as possible.

It seems to me that the ML10.0 CE is not less finished than the 8.2...9.2 finals.

If 10.0 CE is a RC then 8.2...9.2 final were also RCs ( ok it's debatable :unsure: )

Mandrake realized that the previous version had a lot of download just after the release while the CDs and DVDs of the boxsets were already pressed

So Mandrake admitted that despite all there effort, they couldn't test all the hardware and force the manufacturers to cooperate, so big downloads can't be avoided just after a release then better make a version as final as the previous version were called community and a version that include all the downloads called official. But I hope the community was tested as much as previous versions's final. I hope it's _not_ a RC.