XMMS wont play

IRQQ

Hello

For some odd reason when i try to play an MP3 in XMMS 1.2.10 it just stays idle. I can get the Play files box to appear but when i select a file it just goes back to XMMS and stays idle and when i click the play button the Play file box just reappears. I have Nforce 2 audio which works fine.

PS ive only being using linux for 3 days

Thanks

Guest pipplo

I had the same problem and it was because xmms was being called by the gui using "soundwrapper xmms"

Stil haven't figured out whats causing that, not quite sure what soundwrapper is

soundwrapper is a way for applications that uses sound to be rerouted to use arts (the sound daemon for KDE) before going into the sound driver. This way, multiple applications that uses sound can be run at the same time (i.e. hearing those warning signals in gaim while playing your favorite mp3 in xmms). This is useful if you have a soundcard that doesn't support multi-channel sound sources right from the hardware (or if the linux sound driver for that hardware doesn't support multi-channel).

Guest emetib

this is what was up with my xmms in 10community.

with my module, snd-intelx80, the sound would be choppy while playing ogg files as a user, not as root though.

when i switched the mod to i810_audio, everything was fine. the problems was the nmap selection in the options, preferences, sound driver. i had to click on configure, and then deselect the namp option. (i'm not in 10 now, so that's from memory.)

i did drop a bug report to mdk bugs to tell them about this, the reply of mine is what they suggested. so i don't know if another bug report is needed.

Guest pipplo
I've solved it, at least it is working now just fine (don't know my solution will cause other probs).

I've edited the properties of the XMMS icon, I deleted the command soundwrapper.

Thats what i was trying to get at. Now that I look at it my post didn't explain that at all did it! haha..

anyway, after updating from cooker it works fine with soundwrapper in that command.