Installing Downloaded Software

mikejr

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

install all of them & any dependencies they might require.

Chris

cd4???!!!! which version of mdk are you using? 10.0? if so, & you don't have cd4, you can go HERE & HERE to get what you need & to search for any other rpm's you might need. or, dload cd4. :P

Chris

..and following the examplle from the java above I get the following:

[root@dhcp-313-89 mikejr]# chmod a+x gcc2.96-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm

[root@dhcp-313-89 mikejr]# rpm -iv gcc2.96-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm

warning: gcc2.96-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 70771ff3

error: Failed dependencies:

gcc2.96-cpp = 2.96-0.83mdk is needed by gcc2.96-2.96-0.83mdk

[root@dhcp-313-89 mikejr]#

Obviously there dependencies, how to I go about finding them? All of the files at the rpm finder have identical names... I'm trying very hard to hold back my comments about linux right now, as I'm sure this will all pay off in the end :wall:

When I attempt to install using the GUI, it seems to work smoothly until I get a message saying that it has a bad signature? I have not proceeded past this - is it common?

The following packages have bad signatures:

/home/mikejr/gcc2.96-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm: Invalid signature ((SHA1) DSA sha1 md5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG#70771ff3 NOT OK)

Edited by mikejr

dependency hell...........ah, yes........

ok, do this.......... go here to Easy URPMI & set yourself up with some external rpm sources. follow the instructions there. it tells you how to do it. get yourself (at least) a contrib source, but it wouldn't hurt to put in a main source & external source. just be careful with cooker sources. they can (& usually do) contain a lot of unstable apps. after you set up sources, go to mcc->install software & do a search for the packages you're looking for.

chris

just ignore the bad signature message. the packages will install fine without the GPG keys.

Chris

Well, installed it.

Try to open firefox:

[mikejr@dhcp-313-89 firefox]$ ./firefox

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/mikejr/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so [libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/share/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so [libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

Still no Flash.

ok, i don't use Firefox (Mozilla1.6 here, but mostly Opera). so, without knowing the inner workings of Firefox, i can't offer anymore advice other than pointing you HERE if you haven't looked there already. it's a Firefox page with instructions on how to install various plugins (flash, java, etc.). maybe that'll help ya out. :unsure:

Chris

I had all the above problems with Flash+Firefox 0.8+. I just did:

ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.5 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

as root and now flash is working properly!

Hope that helps, Cheers!

:)

Edited by VILLA21