Installing Downloaded Software

mikejr

I downloaded Firefox, using Ark - which I assume is similar to WinZip. Then I decompressed it into my home folder. I go to the folder and click on the Firefox icon and guess what? It opens...

So have I done this right? How can I get it into the menu? I also downloaded the Flash plug, installed it via command line and it still doesn't display flash :( So I'm guessing that I have installed Firefox incorrectly...

Any help is appreciated! I'm a quick learner so hopefully these n00b questions will go away soon.

Mike

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First suggestion - read the readme... :cheeky:

second... I'm goina write this cause I'm bored with nothing better to do so lucky you :thumbs:

righty... you've grabbed firefox.. good for you :D - I use it, its great. I also use Opera - its great too :D

anyways, the first thing you need to do is un-tar it... If I was you, I'd have grabbed the gtk2 version of firefox... (firefox gtk2

so, now untar it - easiest and quickest is from command line. - open a terminal, cd to where you saved the file, and then do the following:

[jez@pctrefjrg9 firefox]$ gunzip firefox-0.8-i686-linux-gtk2+xft.tar.gz

[jez@pctrefjrg9 firefox]$ ls

firefox-0.8-i686-linux-gtk2+xft.tar

[jez@pctrefjrg9 firefox]$ tar xf firefox-0.8-i686-linux-gtk2+xft.tar

now copy this directory to somewhere - like /usr/share/firefox - if your copying to /usr/share , you will need to be root, so su and create the folder... then move it...

[jez@pctrefjrg9 firefox]$ su

Password:

[root@pctrefjrg9 firefox]# cd /usr/share/

[root@pctrefjrg9 share]# mkdir firefox

cd back to the directory you unzipped firefox to and then go into the firefox folder...

[root@pctrefjrg9 firefox]# cd /home/jez/downloads/browsers/firefox/

copy the contents (safest...) to the /usr/share/firefox folder...

[root@pctrefjrg9 firefox]# cp -R * /usr/share/firefox/

(now you can run firefox from /usr/share/firefox, but we haven't finished yet... hey you wanted flash and java didn't you?)

I'll do java in the next post... - going to grab some info for you...

Edited by fred_the_fish

OK, when I try to copy I get

Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>.

[root@dhcp-313-89 firefox]# cp * /usr/share/firefox/

cp: omitting directory `chrome'

cp: omitting directory `components'

cp: omitting directory `defaults'

cp: omitting directory `icons'

cp: omitting directory `ipc'

cp: omitting directory `plugins'

cp: omitting directory `res'

cp: omitting directory `searchplugins'

[root@dhcp-313-89 firefox]#

Edited by mikejr

Righty... java...

First, ask yourself a question... "Do you feel lucky..." oops wrong forum :lol2:

First, ask yourself a question... "Do I want to a/ just run java, or do I want to /b write java also?"

If the answer is /a, then you need the jre. If /b was the answer, you need the sdk. Upon making your descision, go to sun's java download site (this is for java 1.4.2, if you want 1.5.0 (its in beta mode - means not complety finished.. I've got it though, and I haven't yet had a problem...) go to 1.5.0

After making your choice, accept sun's terms and conditions, and proceed deeeeeeeeeep into the downloads site... you should now get a choice of Linux RPM or Linux Self Extracting... plus some others. Grab the the RPM - its MUCH easier...

Ok, you've downloaded the file.. I've got the sdk (I code java :D), but the instructions for installing the jre will be basically the same... (just ammend j2re and version number for your download..)

right, open a terminal and go to where you downloaded the java rpm too. Now you need to make the file executable, and then run it to extract the RPM..

chmod a+x j2re-1_5_0_<version>-linux-i586-rpm.bin

./j2re-1_5_0_<version>-linux-i586-rpm.bin

Now that you have the rpm extracted, su and run it.. (this will install it)

rpm -iv j2re-1_5_0_<version>-linux-i586.rpm

Congratulations... Java is now installed :D _WOOHOO!!_

Now we need to let firefox know where to find the plugin...

so, cd to the dir you installed firefox, and now go into the plugins dir..

and create a symbolic link to the java plugin...

[root@pctrefjrg9 firefox]# cd /usr/share/firefox/plugins/

[root@pctrefjrg9 plugins]# ln -s /usr/java/j2sdk1.5.0/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

(Note, use the ns7 one - the ns7-gcc one does NOT work correctly with this version of firefox..)

Right.. thats the java plugin almost installed for firefox... we can now get the flash installed and then start firefox..

Flash is installed by:

first grab this file: flash 6

now gunzip it

[root@pctrefjrg9 flash]# gunzip install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz

[root@pctrefjrg9 flash]# tar xf install_flash_player_6_linux.tar

[root@pctrefjrg9 flash]# cd install_flash_player_6_linux

now copy the files libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt to the /usr/share/firefox/plugins directory

[root@pctrefjrg9 install_flash_player_6_linux]# cp libflashplayer.so /usr/share/firefox/plugins/

[root@pctrefjrg9 install_flash_player_6_linux]# cp flashplayer.xpt /usr/share/firefox/plugins/

Congrats... Flash is now installed :D Now you just need to get firefox running... You can close the root terminal now - you no longer need root access, so as your own user, go to where you installed firefox, and run the firefox program to start it...

[jez@pctrefjrg9 firefox]$ ./firefox

Now there is one thing left to do... add firefox to your menu (you don't want to go to this directory everytime you want to run firefox..)

So right click on the KDE start icon, and select "Menu Editor", then go to the most likely place to put it (I'd suggest Internet --> Web browsers. Click "Add Application", enter a name (Firefox???!) and in command, type /usr/share/firefox/firefox . You will probably want an icon for it, so then click the icon tab, and on the path dropdown, select "user defined", and type in /usr/share/firefox/icons and hit enter. Now select your nice furry icon, and hit the save button.

There, all done. Now, if you go to the start menu, and hit the firefox tab, it will start (if it gives you a session box, you didn't close the one you opend from the command line.. so close them both, and start again).. now you have a working java and flash enabled firefox... you lucky guy.. :D

fred_the_fish, great help and detail! If I may clear up a few things though.....

with the .tar.gz a simple

tar -xzf

will do both the gunzip and tar command in one command.

firefox can be run from the users home directory. actually preferable in a multi-user sys.....no need to worry about porfiles as every user runs from their home dir which is also nice for bkups, bookmarks etc.

shouldn't/doesn't firefox find the plugins and set everything up?

bvc - I know, but I thought it easiest to demonstrate gunzip and then tar first...

as for firefox - put it in the usr/share. It will run better then - no need to set security permisions on /home/username/firefox. It still creates a local dir on the home drive, and this is what you should back up - look for /home/username/.phoenix ! - and indeed, this is where the profile will be kept. Surely preferable to having umpteen copies of firefox installed on a system....

Firefox doesn't auto-find plugins - you need to put the flash ones and the java plugin symlink into the plugins directory. If your in a multi user environment, its best to put them into the /usr/share/firefox/plugins folder - everyone can use them then. Otherwise, put them into /home/username/.phoenix/plugins Now installing extra plugins just for certain users, I'd recomend putting them into the .phoenix/plugins folder...

(when you put them in the plugins folder, it will then find everything it needs from them, and you don't need to do anything else...)

Edited by fred_the_fish

I take it that it all works now then?

Welcome to Linux, Welcome to Mandrake, and Welcome to MandrakeUsers....

In the future, there is a list of FAQs and How-To's that explain most of this stuff... so have a look in there :D

Actually, as a last pointer, to check that you have java working correctly, go to can I See Java?

Edited by fred_the_fish

I get :

[root@dhcp-313-89 firefox]# ./firefox

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/share/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so [libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

Edited by mikejr

I get :

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/share/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so [libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 is in the gcc2.96 rpms:

gcc2.96-2.96-0.83mdk, gcc2.96-cpp-2.96-0.83mdk and

gcc2.96-c++-2.96-0.83mdk are the pagackages that have to be installed for flash6 to run.

OK, ran the installer - it gave me an option to install into the mozilla directory or the netscape directory:

Macromedia Flash Player 6 will be installed in the following directory:

Mozilla installation directory  = /home/mikejr/.mozilla

Netscape installation directory = /home/mikejr/.netscape

There was no option for firefox...

Ran the installer as root and installed into the firefox directory :)

Stile get

[mikejr@dhcp-313-89 firefox]$ ./firefox

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/mikejr/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so [libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

Should I have installed into the firefox/pluins directory?

Edited by mikejr

I get :

libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 is in the gcc2.96 rpms:

gcc2.96-2.96-0.83mdk, gcc2.96-cpp-2.96-0.83mdk and

gcc2.96-c++-2.96-0.83mdk are the pagackages that have to be installed for flash6 to run.

Try this... - i.e. go to system --> Configuration --> Packaging --> install software, and type in gcc2.96 ...

Edited by fred_the_fish