Installing Downloaded Software

mikejr

well that is a symbolic link for all you lot who don't know... a symlink is like a dummy file that points to the correct file. - like shortcuts in windows, but better..

As to why you have to symlink those two files together, I'm stumped - you shouldn't... they should do it automatically - well... they did for me anyway!

Edited by fred_the_fish

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred_the_Fish, it could be minor variations in hardware, configuration or packages installed - or not? I'm just glad to finally have 'flash' working B) ! Now I need to work on how to tell KDE what browser to launch by default when I click on a url :wall: (LOL)?!

Once and again ~ a huge Thank You to Villa21 for sharing the 'symlink' command that fixed 'flash' for mikejr and myself :D .

Don...

Don - open the KDE Control Panel, and select Componets --> File Associations

Now find the html, php, and other http tabs that you want Firefox to open by default, add FireFox to the default list, and increase its preference to be higher than the others...

Simple really :D

fred_the_fish, that did it! Thank You! I can't believe it was that simple B) ! You guys and gals are Great! Now I have to move on and find the next problem / issue that I need to fix or tweak. Currently running MDK 9.2 but anxiously awaiting 10 final.

Thanks again to all of you wonderful people for sharing your wealth of knowledge with those of us not quite so knowledgeable :cheesy: !

Don...