Shutdown/Reboot problems

p8riot

:help:

This is my first post here.

I just installed Mandrake 10 CE on a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 2.53GHz P-4 with integrated video & networking. This is a dual boot machine (I have XP Pro on another partition).

The install went very well until it asked me for disk 4 (which I don't have), but I was able to get past that with no problems. The system booted as nicely as my old Md 9.2 installation (with the exception that it took a log time to load the desktop). Other than that it is indeed faster and prettier. However, when I go to REBOOT it appears to go normally until it reaches my USB devices, then it hangs. The only way I can shut it down is by turning off my power strip, then I get the "unclean" file system shutdown at the next boot. It does the exactly same thing on SHUTDOWN.

Kevin

Try booting without usb devices plugged in. (Unless it's your mouse and/or keyboard!) If it helps, then we can troubleshoot an old usb problem.

Thanks, I unplugged all of my USB devices including my hub and everything is working now. Except my USB devices.

I was trying to setup the sync to my Clie but it doesn't seem to want to recognize it. I'll post that problem in a related category.

Kevin

I have the same problem my computer

dual boot

I instaled with memory usb key on

and not I'm not using it anymore..

but worse is that XP does not boot anymore too!!!

only a blinking prompt after lilo!!!

grup does not boot too!

The problem of Win XP not booting seems quite common various forums have mentioned it.

I decided to give Mandrake 10 Community a try , $12 seemed a inexpensive play time . The system I used had a dual boot Win XP / Mandrake 9.2

setup. That had been working great .

I blew away the MDK 9.2 install and installed MDK 10.

The first CD would not boot but I managed to get CD 2 to boot and simply swapped . The rest of the install went sweet . MDK 10 fired up

detected all my hardware , network and connecting to the net a breeze.

I then had to boot to WinXP and thats where the probs started . WinXP would not boot , all I got was a cursor flashing in the corner .

OK I thought a will repair the MBR through the recovery console , would not work .

Decided to blow away MDK 10 , still no boot from WinXP .

Tried a further restore with out success .

Decided since I had just done a full back up I would blow away XP and start a fresh. The Win XP CD would boot , load initial set up allow the the partitions to be formatted but would fail to boot at the first reboot . It would continuously loop.

I tried "fixmbr" and "fixboot" several times without success.

I finally got "fixmbr" and "fixboot" to work by reverting the entire Hard disk to Raw and starting afresh .

Win XP eventually was re installed .

I guess I will be waiting until May for the final release of MDK 10 , if the bugs are ironed out , and judging from my initial look at it the wait will be worth it .

I have been experiencing the same problem. I do have a printer plugged into USB at the moment, though it is not seen by 10.0 CE. In fact, in 9.1 with nforce2 binary RPM, it wasn't seen.

I miss my Win4lin so much right now.

Let me try a few things, and see if i can solve the problem on my end. I can even swap mobos if i need to (and burner, sigh).

I rebooted with the printer still connected via the USB (and parallel port). It did so cleanly. I needed to redo the printer in Windows anyways. I haven't tried a shutdown yet.

I use System Commander Personal Edition as my boot manager, which comes with Partition Commander. I just have LiLo in the root partition and no need to worry about rescuing it after a windows re-install: Install Windows, then install PC/SCPE and I am back in Linux.

Installing Windows = the Land of Billions and Billions of Reboots!!!