Download Community now!

Salamandra

This is the final.

Hmm I keep saying this, people really got confused by the new release cycle -- this is as much final as previous Mandrake finals were.

256Kb/s is fast enough, it will just take a bit longer, but bittorrent was 20KB/s and that still downloaded fine for me. At least your phone line is not blocked for days... good old analog modems... :P

This is the final.

Hmm I keep saying this, people really got confused by the new release cycle -- this is as much final as previous Mandrake finals were.

256Kb/s is fast enough, it will just take a bit longer, but bittorrent was 20KB/s and that still downloaded fine for me. At least your phone line is not blocked for days... good old analog modems... :P

I think that what he is refering to is the .0/.1/.2 release schedule. .0 is a major version release, .1 is bug fixes and .2 is final.

I know that's not totaly accurite, but that is the fealing of it. I have found that the .2 releases are always best. I will install 10, but just the cheap-bytes version, same with 10.1, and then when it rolls around, I'll buy 10.2 powerpack on DVD.

A friend of mine in the US is downloading it via FTP (using CuteFTP) and in just 8 hours could finally download 2 of the 3 CD images using a 256k connection.

I will wait till my pack from easylinuxcds arrive :D

Regards

Salamandra

I know that's not totaly accurite, but that is the fealing of it.  I have found that the .2 releases are always best.  I will install 10, but just the cheap-bytes version, same with 10.1, and then when it rolls around, I'll buy 10.2 powerpack on DVD.

Is there something different with the cheap-bytes version?

Guest Adriano

I'm on 256 Kb ADSL, downloading steadily. With a bit of luck, sometime tomorrow I'll be installing.

What say you? Stopping to eat, or something like that? No sire!

I know that's not totaly accurite, but that is the fealing of it.  I have found that the .2 releases are always best.  I will install 10, but just the cheap-bytes version, same with 10.1, and then when it rolls around, I'll buy 10.2 powerpack on DVD.

Is there something different with the cheap-bytes version?

Yes and no. It's no different from what you would download, but the download version is VERY different from the powerpack. The powerpack comes with all the sources and the commercial nvidia drivers are on the disks. Also, the powerpack comes with a lot of commercial/non-GPL software that con't be distributed in a free download.

Also, it's unclear if the cheap0bytes comes with the 4th CD or not.

Saw post about booting from cd2; did it and things booted well, but things fell apart at disk partitioning. My harddrives are hda all Windows 2000 (three partitions) and hdb Linux (Mdk 9.2, Suse, and empty space for 10). However the partitioning tool does not see anything on hdb. A bug here that was never here with 8.0-9.2, Suse, and Debian. It's a funny hd as it is a 75GB WD, but my Mobo can only see the first 33.8GB. I guess I'll have to report a bug. Anyone else have something like this?