Mandrake 10.0 Community Edition review

aRTee

Personally I am not impressed. This was an out the door fire sale release.

First Mandrake since 7.1 that did not configure my canon bjc4100 during the install.

After the first boot, KNotify caused a sig 11 segfault and messes with the aRts sound.

WTF, only released 2 days and the update manager say's I need 270mb of updates.

I'll be using something else for a while, I am so very dissapointed that beneath all the eye-candy they didn't build a solid foundation to work on, and I am not going to be a guinea pig for them. I bought 9 and 9.1 but I wouldn't part with any money for this release.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I am not impressed.  This was an out the door fire sale release.

First Mandrake since 7.1 that did not configure my canon bjc4100 during the install.

After the first boot, KNotify caused a sig 11 segfault and messes with the aRts sound.

WTF, only released 2 days and the update manager say's I need 270mb of updates.

I'll be using something else for a while, I am so very dissapointed that beneath all the eye-candy they didn't build a solid foundation to work on, and I am not going to be a guinea pig for them.  I bought 9 and 9.1 but I wouldn't part with any money for this release.

nah, its just RC2, lets wait till May for Official.

I would be here more........

/me starts taking pot shots at his school teachers

Ive also been setting up Arch Linux....

YAY! It runs smoothly now!

I added a gig of swap (bringing the total over 1.5 gigs :P) and it screwed it up...got a kernel panic...decided I'd have to reinstall, and while I was at it, might as well install 9.2 again. Didn't work, so I installed 10.0, and now it's runnin' smoother than win 98 or MDK 9.2 ever did on this comp...and it's a 4 year old comp with 64MB RAM!

YAY! It runs smoothly now!

I added a gig of swap (bringing the total over 1.5 gigs :P) and it screwed it up...got a kernel panic...decided I'd have to reinstall, and while I was at it, might as well install 9.2 again. Didn't work, so I installed 10.0, and now it's runnin' smoother than win 98 or MDK 9.2 ever did on this comp...and it's a 4 year old comp with 64MB RAM!

If there's one thing I learned about Linux, is that you can never have TOO much different distributions at your disposal...

I really like the font rendering and speed of Mdk 10, but it's not the 'Wow'-experience for me like I had going from 9.0 to 9.1 and 9.2 ...

well, apart from the 'wow' for the speed at bootup and how fast different windows are drawn on the screen and how you can really have HEAPS of GUI programs running at the same time without real problems.

This could well be the very best 'n00b'-distro out there at the moment, but I think I must admit I've outgrown the n00b-stage a bit. Of course, not getting my network connection to work is the biggest showstopper. It's kind of frustrating how it works without any real problems in Lindows and Mepis.

At this point, Mepis works better for me, so I hope a version with kernel 2.6 will also be released soon...

Edited by Darkelve

My mobo is a throwaway that cam from a computer I recieved DOA.  IT crashes on a very regualr basis.  SEveral of the on-board components are faulty and it never stays up for more than a few hours.  WIndows won't even boot. 

Now, linux file systems are great to a point, but if you crash enough, eventualy you get a borked system and must re-install.  I have to re-isntall once per week on average.  That sucks.

Man, if my situation sucked like that I'd go to a computer show and spend $50 on a new computer that worked. :wall:

Iphitus, why would this be rc2? It is final. At least as much as any previous final was final.

Gabbman, if it didn't work for you, and you didn't file bugreports, tough luck. Linux development depends on user feedback. I understand that not everyone can do beta testing, but all important bugs I filed got fixed. If no one did it for your hardware, how can they fix it?

In any case, there has been less traffic than after many rc2's after this final, so there is no base for the idea that this is not final.

Btw, do you all realise that when Official comes out, everyone will be shouting for gnome2.6 and not get it?

Ah well...

Mandrake 10 is (hopefully) still a release candidate.

1) Nvidia drivers need to be modprobed with every boot. I know I can fix it, but why should I have to?

2) Internet is slow. And slow. Did I say slow?

3) Network configuration is not as nice as the past.

4) Font program in mcc is not as nice as the previous release. In both 3 and 4, they have opted for streamlining and elimenated some useful function in the tools.

5) The auto mouse feature is a dawg. I spell it that way so as to not insult real dogs! My scroll wheel was sensative to the horizontal anywhere on the page, but I had to be on top of the verticle in order for it to work. That is backwards. Getting it to go to ps/2 mouse was difficult; it wanted to hang on to the new auto mouse thing.

Good stuff?

1) new kde gui is excellent, especially the transparent kicker.

2) I like the new menu lay-out.

3) It seems to boot faster and shut down faster, although I would rather that it boot correctly into x.

I'll go back to 9.2 if I can't speed up the internet.

Iphitus, why would this be rc2? It is final. At least as much as any previous final was final.

In any case, there has been less traffic than after many rc2's after this final, so there is no base for the idea that this is not final.

Btw, do you all realise that when Official comes out, everyone will be shouting for gnome2.6 and not get it?

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...topic=12283&hl=

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/pr-releaseprocess.php3

The new release road map:

The spirit of the new development road map is to keep providing a release similar to what was released in the past, which will now be called "Mandrake Linux Community." This is the regular Mandrake Linux distribution, based on Cooker, which goes through the traditional QA process. But from now on, a second 'rock-solid' version titled "Mandrake Linux Official" will be released two or three months after Mandrake Linux Community. This new version will include all Erratas applied to the initial release, and as a result will be particularly solid and problem-free. The Community release will be ideal for those who want the 'latest and greatest' features as soon as available, while the second release will be perfect for those who prefer to wait and avoid any potential glitches.

What follows is the development process for our next major release, Mandrake Linux 10.0:

1) After the traditional debugging of several Beta and Release Candidates, the final version of "Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community" will be released in February/March. This version will be available for download and as a DVD-set through e-Commerce.

2) Then a Mandrake Linux 10.0 Stable branch will be opened, based on Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community. Security updates and bug fixes will be applied to this tree and will be publicly available in real time.

3) Two or three months later, in April/May, "Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official" will be created from the Mandrake 10.0 Stable branch. It will then be packaged for several products such as the Mandrake Linux PowerPack. Mandrake 10.0 Official ISO images will also be available for all contributors and Club Members; then, after a short delay, Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official Download Edition will be made available on public FTP mirrors."

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...opic=12283&hl=#

yes, no gnome 2.6 :angry: :D

Mandrake 10 is (hopefully) still a release candidate.

1) Nvidia drivers need to be modprobed with every boot. I know I can fix it, but why should I have to?

2) Internet is slow. And slow. Did I say slow?

3) Network configuration is not as nice as the past.

4) Font program in mcc is not as nice as the previous release. In both 3 and 4, they have opted for streamlining and elimenated some useful function in the tools.

5) The auto mouse feature is a dawg. I spell it that way so as to not insult real dogs! My scroll wheel was sensative to the horizontal anywhere on the page, but I had to be on top of the verticle in order for it to work. That is backwards. Getting it to go to ps/2 mouse was difficult; it wanted to hang on to the new auto mouse thing.

Good stuff?

1) new kde gui is excellent, especially the transparent kicker.

2) I like the new menu lay-out.

3) It seems to boot faster and shut down faster, although I would rather that it boot correctly into x.

I'll go back to 9.2 if I can't speed up the internet.

1. no prob here

2.no prob here

3.I've always had to configure my network in the past. Not this time...it was all done already, auto.

4. Agree.....stinks

5. hmmmm, come to think of it I haven't looked. I will, becasue if I startx from init 3 with an .xinitrc my wheel doesn't work.

oh, and after all the updates my fonts are ugly.

Edited by bvc

OK, I accidentially updated to 10.0 RC ("réalisation communité" ;)). Saturday, my weekly urpmi --auto-select cron job to cooker started, and woop, suddenly there's MDK10.0 on my system. I was shocked. :D

Well, to make this a short post: Everything works perfectly, as before. I already updated to kernel 2.6.3 before, hence no probs there, either. For some weird reason, I did have to re-compile the NVIDIA wrapper, but that was that, rest: no probs at all.

-Sascha.rb

Hi all!

I'm a new member here (first post ever), i just discovered this place and i have to say that i'm glad i had.:)

To make a long story short, i installed 9.2 a week ago on my rig and i'm really a happy camper. It works really well and i was wondering "if" and "when" to upgrade to 10.0.

Do you think it would be wiser to wait untill 10.2 (as someone suggested here) to upgrade the whole lot?

Thanks for any hint/tip/clue.:P

Ekzema (newborn Mandrake fan)

Ekzema, for those of us with Nforce2 chipsets by Nvidia (motherboard north and southbridges), Mandrake 10.0 Community is worth checking out. Sure, there will be bugs and that, since it is merely the Community release, and is for much wider testing to find all of the errata (bugs, security, etc.). The Official version will have all of those errata merged into the CE, and this is what will go to duplication for the boxed packs. No more fiascos like 9.2 was.

For the first time, I downloaded all 3 10.0 CE isos. I did this because I am using an Nforce2 motherboard.

If you want to wait for the Official (stable) production release, go right ahead. This will be 10.0.

Guys, I think I found MDK 10's weakness. Their custom kernel sucks. Seriously, I couldnt get MDK 10 to run for 30 minutes without a hard lock. I downloaded the 2.6.4 kernel source from kernel.org and compiled a vanilla kernel. It's now very stable. So try that out and tell me if that fixes the problem.