Mandrake 10.0 Community Edition review

aRTee

You could add:

My damn digital camera Jenoptik JD 2100 z3s works now, out of the box.

And I suspect that some more of these 'unusual usb devices/mass storage' are added too.

Anna,

do you know I got my digital camera working at last in 9.2, with your help? Thanks for that again.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

judland, don't know, will have a look as soon as I have time.

Veedubb, that's bad man,... no way to score a decent secondhand machine that will be more stable?

Darkelve, thanks for telling; I'm also on osnews (first time Eugenia posts something by my hand) and pclo. Hopefully soon on LinuxToday too.

Anna, happy for you that it now works.

Thanks to all for your kind words and compliments.

:)

edit: libdvdcss rpms can be found on the PLF mirrors, I'm using the one of 9.2, works fine. Don't even know if there is a really new one.

Edited by aRTee

I just took a few minutes and looked at the MandrakeClub's RPM database and found this:

NVIDIA-1.0-4363.2mdk.src.html

OT: The 43.63 drivers are pretty good. It's quite an effort to get them NOT to run on a system. ;) For GeforceFX users, mind: please give 5x.xx drivers a shot. The 5x.xx branch is highly GFFX optimised, 4x.xx drivers aren't (i.e. don't expose all functionalities of GeForce FX). It's not as if your system suddenly ran at double the speed, but, well ... IF you get them to run on your system, you've got the drivers that were more or less built specifically for GFFX. Yes, they support earlier chipsets, too (NV calls it their "unified driver architecture"), but I wouldn't install anything above 43.63 on a system not equipped with a GFFX.

Apart from that: has anybody given those sources a shot? Do they differ from the drivers you can download from www.nvidia.com, and if yes, how? Pre-compiled kernel interfaces for MDK kernels included, or what?

-Sascha.rb

Don't listen to tyme, iphitus. You can't be too young - or too old - to get married.  :cheesy:

--anna

back on the board, because tyme is also back  :g-balloon:

(pssst, he's 14 or 15 - i can't remember)

:thumbs:

so, anna, you gonna try to do a livecd w/10.0? I was looking into it, but i'm not sure it's possible at the current moment (unless you roleback the kernel).

Edited by tyme

so, anna, you gonna try to do a livecd w/10.0?  I was looking into it, but i'm not sure it's possible at the current moment (unless you roleback the kernel).

LiveCD 10.0 with kernel 2.6.3 is already done, tyme. And working fine on most hardware.

Still some minor problems left, but hopefully get resolved with kernel 2.6.4tmb which is already made but not yet available because of the cooker freeze: some NIC's, scsi stuff, usb devices, isdn ...

Probably the script needs some changes too, but basically it's working fine.

Meanwhile I played with slackware and made a livecd a la slax, very nice and fast as hell, you don't even notice that you are running a cd. But I can't help - I like Mandrake more. And 10.0 with kernel 2.6 is now as fast and responsive as slack with the old kernel.

i was working on a livecd w/arch, using the slax scripts, but that didn't work out too well (it got messy and i'm lazy). i'm looking into use 10.0, which is why i asked. i still haven't tried slack!

anyways, we're going off-topic sorta, so if you wanna discuss this more either start another thread or pm me :)

HAHAHAHA

iphitus is way too young to get married!  hehe

Tyme, I was talking about arTee.

Poor guy. Just got married, THEN they release Mandrake 10... :juggle:

The two separate (marriage and Mandrake release) are superb, but the two together? Anyway, I'll stop posting on this to avoid going too off-topic. And it stops being funny after a while...

Edited by Darkelve

What's new in 10.0 other than the, like, 2 new progs, new menu layout, and insanely slow speed? Seriously, I'm gonna be running Morphix for about 2 weeks until I send back and get my new RAM...:(