Mandrake 10.0 Community Edition review

aRTee

I just finished my Mandrake 10.0 Community Edition review.

Give it a read here: ML10.0CE review

Note: I have also added my configuration page for 10.0CE.

Another addition: please let me know what you think about the review, what is missing, what is unclear, spelling errors, anything!

Edited by aRTee

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it sounds fantastic, but due to a lack of bandwidth or money and some of the litle things you mentioned, I will probably stick to my original plan. THat is, from now on I'm only going to bother with the ".2" releases of mandrake.

From your review, it sounds like they've fixed basicaly all the things I wished were better before. No more SCSI emulation required, lower cpu load in k3b, autoplay of media disks, cleaner simpler MCC, faster kde. WHat more could you ask for? Plus kmix now has options for advanced 3d in soundcards and it all looks great.

I tell you one thing, when 10.2 comes round, I think it'll be time for me to buy another power-pack.

I'd like to give the new Mandrake 10.0 a try, but I have an nVidia 3D graphics card. The only way I know how to get it to work fully and properly is to purchase a boxed set, with all of the appropriate drivers.

Any way you can suggest to me an easy way how I should go about getting a version of 10.0 working with my nVidia 3D card?

Great review, by the way. It has made me want to try Mandrake once again (which I haven't wanted to do since 8.2) I did not like 9.0 very much.

Edited by judland

I'd like to give the new Mandrake 10.0 a try, but I have an nVidia 3D graphics card.  The only way I know how to get it to work fully and properly is to purchase a boxed set, with all of the appropriate drivers.

Any way you can suggest to me an easy way how I should go about getting a version of 10.0 working with my nVidia 3D card?

Great review, by the way.  It has made me want to try Mandrake once again (which I haven't wanted to do since 8.2)  I did not like 9.0 very much.

Hi there,

how about just downloading the appropriate drivers from www.nvidia.com and compile them?

A somewhat related question. I read statements such as "faster KDE" and "no more SCSI emulation required" etc.. Err, what's holding MDK 9.2 users back from just updating their KDE, MCC et al? Am I missing something, here?

Looking at the list of changes, I seem to pretty much already run MDK10.0 and have been doing so for some time, now. urpmi (and cooker) is your friend.

-Sascha.rb

There are no official KDE3.2 packages, and if something breaks, you just don't know if it was you...

What's holding people back is the time to tingle -- installing a kernel on a working system can be more frightening than installing a whole system.

BTW it is much much easier to install mdk10 than to update all parts if you don't know what you are doing. All who have mdk9.x or so know how to install, that's easy. But few will know how to fix things.

As for the Nvidia drivers, that's really not hard, I have a page about that on my website, linked through my config page. Just make sure you have the driver downloaded and the kernel source installed.

Is the driver install process easier these days? Last time I tried (for 9.0) it was beyond my simple Linux skill abilities.

Kind of why I moved to ALT Linux. Everything's there and just worked....

Is the driver install process easier these days?  Last time I tried (for 9.0) it was beyond my simple Linux skill abilities.

judland,

yup. Install kernel sources (urpmi kernel-source), download driver from www.nvidia.com, bunzip2 driver, sh [drivername].run, follow onscreen instructions, edit XF86Config-4 (change "nv" to "nvidia", remove the "dri" entry under module), startx, done.

aRTee,

ah, OK. Point taken. Thanks for the info. :)

-Sascha.rb

......A somewhat related question. I read statements such as "faster KDE" and "no more SCSI emulation required" etc.. Err, what's holding MDK 9.2 users back from just updating their KDE, MCC et al? Am I missing something, here?......

I'll tell you why I don't.

My mobo is a throwaway that cam from a computer I recieved DOA. IT crashes on a very regualr basis. SEveral of the on-board components are faulty and it never stays up for more than a few hours. WIndows won't even boot.

If it weren't for the forgiveness of linux, my computer wouldn't run at all.

Now, linux file systems are great to a point, but if you crash enough, eventualy you get a borked system and must re-install. I have to re-isntall once per week on average. That sucks.

Now, the better configured and more complete the version of mandrake on the CD's is, the better, because I can be up and running in 30 minutes. Everything Ihave to install myself, like nvidia drivers, means that much longer to get going.

Also, many people, while confident in running a linux system, find things like upgrading a ekrnel to be daunting at the least.

Personaly, the idea of trying to upgrade kde is terrifying.

And I did try to upgrade the kernel once, but the number of things that broke when I installed the 2.6 kernel greatly outweighed the shiny newness. Installing a mandy that is built around 2.6 avoids those problems entirely.

By your logic, there's no point in ever installing or being excited about a new version of mandrake. If you have a copy of mandrake 6.0, you could just isntall it and upgrade everything yourself. Well, hell, for that matter, you could do a LFS or Gentoo bootstrap and b uild mandrake yourself from scratch, it's all GNU.

Obviously I'm joking with you to make a point. :D :P

Hey, guys/gals....

I just took a few minutes and looked at the MandrakeClub's RPM database and found this:

NVIDIA-1.0-4363.2mdk.src.html

It is labelled as ''MandrakeClub commercial packages.'' Is this a package to get the nVidia 3D acceleration working on a downloaded Mandrake distro. or is it the RPM already included in the ISOs?