Toshiba DVD/CD-RW combo

coverup

I tried to copy a CD with k3b last night. Step by step, I figured out how to burn a CD in general. There were a copule of nuisances though...

1. My DVD/CD-RW was correctly recognised by MDK, but cdrdao was producing an error saying it did not have a driver for it. That wasweird since the driver called 'toshiba' was on the list. Where can I find if it works with my particular DVD/CD-RW?

2. Suggested speed was 1x, it took ages to burn the CD at this speed. The burner is capable of doing up to 16x (need to check that). How do I find a right speed?

Thanks.

if you burned a cd w/k3b then your cd burner is working. as for the cdrdao, you may need to look in the software installer for a package by that name and install it.

as for the speed, run k3b-setup as root, this allows you to set the default speed.

Thanks, guys...

It's a combo drive (Laptop), I don't have a reader...

Cdrdao was there, it just didn't pick the right driver. I used generic-mmc as suggested, but was not sure that was a right choice. There was toshiba driver on the list. Should I have used it?

Also, what *is* the correct setting for the default speed?

By the way, how do I check whether the burnt CD is Okay? It's a data CD, can I do a checksum test or something?

the easiest way to find the speed is to look at the front of your drive, sometimes it will say there, or check the box it came in. if none of that supplies it (or you don't have the case), go int Mandrake Control Center and look at the hardware list, it may give you a clue...if nothing else you can get the model number and google for that model.

Edited by tyme