Web Site design/layout

jlc

I want to create a web site to use at work to track server parts across several locations in the nation.

What I need is:

Excel like spread sheet content.

Logins for users to add/remove/edit from the sheet.

This will be running on a Sun Ultra 2 w/ Gentoo Linux on it.

I've created web-sites years ago, so i understand some of html, but any help pointers on what i need, should use and how to set it up would be greatly appreciated.

:D

yeah, have a webpage on a central server which remote users login to through a mechanism like this board (perhaps more securely).

They edit a form which edits an sql database...

I have this O'Reilley book "web database applications," i'd recommend it :-)

edit, theres probably good documentation on the web... but if work are paying...

Edited by fissy

I have been pondering this one myself seeing I have been spending a bit of time looking at those ready-made sites, such as, php-nuke, phpwebsite, invision, etc.

I was trying to remember if any of them have this capability, but I don't remember anthing that would do the job here.

Maybe a search through sourceforge for php websites may help. There was one to keep track of lists, maybe that could be customized for your use? (I will see if I can remember which one that was)

Otherwise, you may just have to hard code something in MySQL and php (or PERL).

Two come to mind right away, Mambo and wcms. If you can install Fantastico on the server, it will make trial and error go a lot faster.

Or, you could just set up a regular website. If you have access to DWMX04 I can walk you through it - otherwise I'm new to linux and haven't found a replacement program yet...

The premise is to have an entry page that directs login to a test page. Upon verification via the db, users are directed to the main page. There they can update the db via form based input. This would only require one MySQL db, with as many tables as needed.

Editing an entry get a little tricker, as you need to populate the forum prior to it loading. All of this is a walk in the park w/ DW - or if you are fluent in php/MySQL (not me) and can hand code the whole thing.

That's about it. You can make as many pages as needed to call ot the db and display the content however you like, or have it sorted in a certain way.

Mike