nForce2 and MDK10 community edition

mikeoneil

Bobaloo;

Thanks for the positive answer to my mdk 10.0 CE and enterprise kernel question! In earlier versions, you are stuck with the standard kernel. The reason I asked, is that I had to get another mobo cause my Chaintech mobo did not like my NEC ND-2500A all in one DVD/CD burner. It refused to post. The new mobo I had to get was nforce2, cause the shop didn't have any other type for Athlon XP in stock.

Now I need to check a few things in win98se and this mobo, regarding 1 GB ram (stability). If that works out, I am good to go for 10.0. :cheesy: (After I burn the community CDs, that is.)

Sarissi -

Looks like you're having quite a time getting things going, hang in there, it IS worth the effort.

I've been using linux for 5-6 years now, since some of the early commercial releases, and there is a learning curve to figure some things out. On the other hand, personally I get a real sense of satisfaction out of making things work and can see how far the linux community has come in the last few years. Just a couple of years ago the idea of ripping a DVD to Divx and watching the movie on the computer would have been all but impossible, and there are so many new apps being released all the time to make all sorts of things easier.

BTW, the NForce2 board works even better under linux than under Windows. I got my old Win2000 partition restored last night and was using ShrinkDVD and the multitasking under Win2K was not nearly as good under Windows as under linux.

Just a suggestion for the future, but personally I only get a major upgrade every 18 months or so, and before buying any hardware I always do some research on the net to see if there are any problems with using the hardware under linux before buying it. For example, the ATI video cards are very popular these days, but are much more difficult to get work under linux than the NVidia cards, so when I bought a new vid card a couple of months ago I bought the NVidia 5600 Ultra. Installed the most recent drivers from NVidia and had it up and running 3D games in about 5 minutes.

Good luck with your project.

Bobaloo,

I have been happily running linux for a while now. I just had that nasty surprise with the burner and mobo (mobo doesn't like the burner for some reason). Otherwise, the Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee is a Sweeet mobo.

I also downloaded Mandrakemove and burned all three 10.0 CE CDs and the Mandrakemove. MM is sweet. It setup all of the nforce stuff correctly, unlike the binary RPM for mandy 9.1 (didn't setup USB, so failed to see my printer). Just got win98se back up and running, with 1 GB ram (dual DDR333), and it is nice and stable (98se).

Now I can go ahead and install 10.0, which is the first one I have downloaded. :D

The lady who does our shopping, saw MM and loves it, and she is a long time windows user.

I just installed MDK 10 today and it went pretty flawlessly. My rig is an XP 2600+, (2) 512MB DDR 266, Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe, Nvidia GeForce MX 440, (1) Maxtor 40GB, (1) Maxtor 80GB and (2) Seagate SATA 80GB HDD's. What surprised me the most was being able to get the Marvell LAN Gigabit NIC up and running, had a helluva time trying to get it to work with Slack 9.1 2.4.25 kernel. Now if I could only get my external USB HDD to work..........................So far I love the 2.6.3-4 kernel

WSGrant, don't forget to manually edit the bootloader and be sure acpi=ht is removed, along with adding what I said in my post just above yours, at the beginning of the line. That is to get USB working.

i'm not getting any sound output, i'm using a7nx8 board, i go to property and it shows the nforce but i'm not getting sound, please help

vpkb........Make sure that your sound is not muted or the volume is all the way down. More than likely, the PCM slider is all the way down.......

Who ever asked about the 1 GB of RAM on a nForce chipset with 10.0 CE; I got 1 GB of RAM and it not only works with 1 GB, it loves the 1 GB! It seems to know how to spread itself out into the RAM so the hard drive rarely runs and makes everything wicked fast :thumbs:

I thought the sound was not working at first too, but it was just that the volume control was turned down. If you don't have mic hooked up then mute that too. I think one of the updates fixed this anyway.