BYE BYE Supermount !

Guest anon

Supermount was always fine for me, until I wanted to use a USB2 hd -- way too slow.

I found out what and why -- basically it has to do with the atime property -- this explains also why there is good speed going from the computer to the usb drive, but to read a file is very slow, 1MB/s - usb1.1 speed.

You can either mount by hand or add the option noatime somewhere in the fstab line:

none .... supermount .... etc..

Note: this is still the case in Mandrake 10.0, I have no idea why they state that supermount is really gone. It is there for removable storage.

For audio cd's: just pop in the cd, both on kde and gnome the respective player will pop up - kscd or the gnome audio cd player (forgot the name).

KsCD just sits there, waiting for you to press play, it's gnome counterpart actually starts playing too. This may just be a difference in the default behaviour though.

Hi,

I've just got two questions about magicdev

1) Does magicdev work with floppy disks too, i.e. will it automatically mount them?

2) Does it only work with gnome and KDE, i.e. if I try and access the floppy from some other program e.g openoffice will it still automatically mount it like supermount does?

thanks,

-----

Edit: I'll answer my own questions in relation to Mandrake 10.0 CE, now that I've had a chance to try out magic dev.

1) Magicdev does not seem to work for floppy disks, but in 10.0CE supermount seems to be automatically enabled for floppy disks and works fine.

2) Magicdev mounted the cds and dvds fine, but I've found it rather flaky so far so I disabled it.

Edited by thelorax

ML-10-CE/magicdev

dvdrom

I can play audiocd's in fact kscd starts auto in kde

I can play dvd's

I can use the install cd's with rpmdrake/urpmi

Can not view anything in konq or terminal

cdrw

doesn't do anything....dead

*sigh*

til magicdev fixed/stable/whatever....it'll be supermount for me, thank you :juggle:

Edited by bvc

This is funny. Supermount was always a nasty issue for me, and I always disabled it. Magicdev is working without a hitch. Wow. B)